Can someone tell me what this part is on my 98 chevy c1500 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unknown2343

Reaction score
This part threads into the back of the power steering pump. A sensor of some sort sits on top and there’s a neck piece with a hole for this peice to go through it and the pressure line threads into the other end. Is it a power steering control valve? I’ve looked everywhere for it. Cannot find this part. The seals are bad on this one and leaking like crazy. I thought It was my pressure line until I hit it with brake cleaner and realized where the leak was coming from. Does anyone know what this is called and where to find this or if there is a seal kit for it ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

unknown2343

Reaction score
Electronic variable orifice (EVO) valve. Once the OEM one is faulty, most people opt to install the EVO bypass instead. For example, GM 19168825.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for the info, that’s exactly what I needed to know. Is there anything that needs to be done when installing this kit besides installing it? Does it throw any dash lights ?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did not know of this bypass option but I would bet that it is a "plug and play" set up.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@unknown2343, my apologies. I see the truck info in the title of the thread. I recommend putting in your signature.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, that’s exactly what I needed to know. Is there anything that needs to be done when installing this kit besides installing it? Does it throw any dash lights ?
Plug and play. Nothing else needed except the tools and power steering fluid.

Check Engine Light will not come on. The only reason a Check Engine Light comes on is from an emissions-related fault. EVO does not affect emissions.

Tie the loose connector up out of the way as it will no longer be needed.

Instructions attached. (Some say you can perform the replacement with the power steering pump still installed. Do some research or wait for someone to respond here. I had my power steering pump off, so I wasn't concerned about doing the replacement with the power steering pump still installed.)

Attachments

• EVO Bypass Kit Installation Instructions.pdf
    355.4 KB · Views: 10

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One word of warning about the GM 19168825 EVO bypass kit... It does introduce an extra connection point that could fail/leak. I had that kit on both of my '97s. It's still on the Suburban with no issues, but the one on my red truck started leaking behind the pump after a few months. I decided to take a different approach on the red truck and swapped to a 1996 power steering pump and pressure line. This combo eliminates the extra connection point that the bypass introduced, and has identical performance to the OEM '97 pump with the bypass.

As others have mentioned, removing the EVO will not trigger a check engine light. There will be stored codes that a good scan tool will pick up, but nothing that would trigger a dash light.