'97 C1500 Power Steering Parts Selection (EVO Delete)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sort of an unfortunate start to the morning today... I was driving across town in my red truck ('97 C1500 4.3L) and I noticed the power steering pump starting to make noise. It got louder as I got closer to home but I made it, checked the reservoir after I pulled it into the garage and the fluid wasn't touching the dipstick. Not sure where the leak is coming from yet but everything surrounding the pump is wet.

EVO has been deleted previously using the GM kit, and I'm suspicious that my leak may be at the extra connection the kit introduced. I think I'd like to take this opportunity to install a pre-EVO pump and pressure line instead of using the GM EVO delete kit on my stock '97 pump setup.

First question, I need a pressure line and pump for a '96 right?

Second question, who makes a good pump and lines? It looks like all the OEM GM stuff is discontinued. RockAuto shows '96 pumps from Edelmann, Lares, BBB and Maval in both new and reman flavors. Their pressure line options are FVP, Edelmann or Sunsong. If anyone has any experiences to share or part recommendations I'd love to hear them, thanks.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One a related note, this truck has the frame mounted loop cooler style of power steering return line. I see that it's discontinued and no longer available anywhere. Pretty sure mine is still good, but if not will it do any harm to remove that cooler and replace it with a standard return line?

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a temporary fix, replace the oring on the extra delete connection. They always suck, regardless of manufacturer it seems.

No experience on the impending pump upgrade. I have a k3500 and one suburban with evo delete, and one suburban that still has it, and I honestly can't make up my mind which one I like best.

edit: it's easier to drop the front engine guard/skid plate and get at the joint from the front, rather than try and work from below

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sort of an unfortunate start to the morning today... I was driving across town in my red truck ('97 C1500 4.3L) and I noticed the power steering pump starting to make noise. It got louder as I got closer to home but I made it, checked the reservoir after I pulled it into the garage and the fluid wasn't touching the dipstick. Not sure where the leak is coming from yet but everything surrounding the pump is wet.

EVO has been deleted previously using the GM kit, and I'm suspicious that my leak may be at the extra connection the kit introduced. I think I'd like to take this opportunity to install a pre-EVO pump and pressure line instead of using the GM EVO delete kit on my stock '97 pump setup.

First question, I need a pressure line and pump for a '96 right?

Second question, who makes a good pump and lines? It looks like all the OEM GM stuff is discontinued. RockAuto shows '96 pumps from Edelmann, Lares, BBB and Maval in both new and reman flavors. Their pressure line options are FVP, Edelmann or Sunsong. If anyone has any experiences to share or part recommendations I'd love to hear them, thanks.
Sunsong is/was the GM supplier.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We sold Gates and Edelman at the rural farm AG parts store. I have still been using Edelman with no issues. There is always a chance, something goes TU. But Thirty years and 6 trucks so far so good.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks. So far my RockAuto cart looks like this:

Edelmann 6023R power steering pump (new): $126.99
Sunsong 3401439 pressure line: $19.11
Sunsong 3404946 return line (just in case my cooler has an issue): $11.24

Haven't pulled the trigger yet so I'm still open to suggestions.

While we're on the subject, what's a good power steering fluid? I'm going to run by O'Reillys tomorrow and grab some of their store brand stuff to top off the reservoir for now, but when everything gets changed out I'd like to flush the system and put some good fluid in. The '97 GM factory service manual calls for GM specification 9985010 which the cheap O'Reillys store brand PS fluid specifically states it's compatible with, but I'm curious if there would be any benefits from upgrading to a synthetic fluid like RedLine for example.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think fluid really matters in this application, standard GM pumps run fine on the standard fluid and you're replacing the pump so you don't care about seal conditioners.

Hopefully the cooler is fine and you can keep it, but it would also be fine to use a standard return hose if you need to.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a pump and lines listed for a 95 or 96. I also added an inline filter to the return side while I had the system open.

I too have had no issues with singsong or Edelman.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Last time I prepped to do some power steering work I ordered AC Delco fluid from Rock so I'd have known good stuff on hand. It's inexpensive.

Richard