'97 C1500 Power Steering Parts Selection (EVO Delete)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One a related note, this truck has the frame mounted loop cooler style of power steering return line. I see that it's discontinued and no longer available anywhere. Pretty sure mine is still good, but if not will it do any harm to remove that cooler and replace it with a standard return line?
How hot does it get where you live? How hard do you use the PS, and do you have Hydroboost?

The in-frame "cooler" was leaking when I bought my '97 K2500. The thing carries around a V-plow for snow, so the front end is heavily loaded, and it has Hydroboost. OTOH, the truck rarely leaves my property. I ran bulk PS/Trans Cooler hose to bypass the in-frame cooler; cost me a couple of clamps and maybe eighteen inches of bulk hose.

Figured at the time that "someday" I'd put a real, front-mounted cooler on the truck. So far, it hasn't made it to the top of the priority list, and it's been several years.

Any commercially-available PS fluid suitable for GM will be fine. I do not expect that "synthetic" fluid is going to be a significant improvement.

The boxes the pumps come in may have different names on them, but I bet they're all "rebuilt" by the same company and then custom-packaged. The "new" pumps are likely direct from Communist China.

If this were me--and it isn't (so far) I'd find a low-mileage unit at the Treasure Yard.

Consider installing a PS filter into the return hose.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you to @Orpedcrow and @someotherguy for reminding me about the pulley and fluid.

I see the OEM GM pulley (12605677) is discontinued but RockAuto still has them in stock, I might pick one of those up just to have on hand. Also added a gallon of ACDelco PS fluid (105073) to the list, that should be enough to flush the rest of the old stuff out of the gearbox and then some right?

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW there are posts on the web that to get the 96 steering feel you need the gearbox and can keep your pump. Then again you could go to all 96 parts.

bluetahoe

Reaction score
Sort of an unfortunate start to the morning today... I was driving across town in my red truck ('97 C1500 4.3L) and I noticed the power steering pump starting to make noise. It got louder as I got closer to home but I made it, checked the reservoir after I pulled it into the garage and the fluid wasn't touching the dipstick. Not sure where the leak is coming from yet but everything surrounding the pump is wet.

EVO has been deleted previously using the GM kit, and I'm suspicious that my leak may be at the extra connection the kit introduced. I think I'd like to take this opportunity to install a pre-EVO pump and pressure line instead of using the GM EVO delete kit on my stock '97 pump setup.

First question, I need a pressure line and pump for a '96 right?

Second question, who makes a good pump and lines? It looks like all the OEM GM stuff is discontinued. RockAuto shows '96 pumps from Edelmann, Lares, BBB and Maval in both new and reman flavors. Their pressure line options are FVP, Edelmann or Sunsong. If anyone has any experiences to share or part recommendations I'd love to hear them, thanks.
I haven't read all the replies, but FYI I called Red Head spoke with them and got a new steering gear and it's been great. They had great advice on the system.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't read all the replies, but FYI I called Red Head spoke with them and got a new steering gear and it's been great. They had great advice on the system.

To the best of my knowledge my steering gear is fine, everything down there is dry and fully functional. My steering feels great as it is so I have no plans to replace the gear. My only issue is the leak somewhere near the pump.

Vic327

Reaction score
If the leak is the fitting or adapter fitting all you need is the 96 hose and a fitting from an earlier truck. One my 97 suburban I used one from the 1980's it has the same hose connection to the pump. I have the fitting from a hydroboost truck and it's steering is a bit light but fine. The vacuum booster lighter trucks should have a bit heavier feel as the orifice is smaller. I left the original regulator in place under the fitting on the pump.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks. So far my RockAuto cart looks like this:

Edelmann 6023R power steering pump (new): $126.99
Sunsong 3401439 pressure line: $19.11
Sunsong 3404946 return line (just in case my cooler has an issue): $11.24

Just ordered all this stuff plus a gallon of ACDelco 105073 power steering fluid and the Cardone 3P25160 pulley that Orpedcrow mentioned. Was going to get the OEM GM 12605677 pulley but RockAuto must have sold the last of them before I got the chance. Oh well, judging by the photos it looks like the GM pulley was just the Cardone one in a different box for more money anyway.

Thanks guys!

One other random observation... The stock power steering pulley on my truck is solid with no cut-outs, like this one:

You must be registered for see images attach

But the Cardone I got (and the OEM GM part that I was considering) have cut-outs as evidenced in Orpedcrow's picture. Is there any particular reason the design was changed? Ease of removal/installation would be my guess but I'm just curious.