Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Well since I am waiting on exhaust to be done, we decided to tackle the rear axle swap and shackle flip.

Last picture of RiSSa with the wimpy 10 bolt.

You must be registered for see images attach

Its replacement, a Dana 70HD removed from the 1989 K3500. Geared to 4.10 and will be locked soon.

Had to torch off the old spring hardware since everything was seized. Buddy came over with his service truck and made short work of it.

Shackle flip installed, Dana 70HD bolted in. Used the 1 Ton springs that came from the K3500. Still going to need a zero rate, and maybe longer shackles to level the truck back out.

Even better, the armored Ballistic Fab diff cover we had fit perfectly.

My stock driveline ended up being too long, believe it or not, due to the added length of the pinion on the D70. We had to hook up a strap and tug it out of the garage. We are shortening the 1 ton driveline so a conversion joint wont be needed, and since mine needs shortened anyways, might as well use the stronger line.

It looks in sad shape, but I am taking the tires to be mounted and balanced then tossed back on.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Got the KM2s mounted and balanced and put back on. Looks awesome on there. Rear axle is slightly narrower than the front, but that is fine.

Popped on one of the black Chevy caps and one of the chrome GMC caps too.

Tried to measure for the rear shaft. Ran out of jack stand and got it BARELY off the ground. These springs have ALOT more droop than my old ones.

Comparison of my 1/2 ton shaft and the 1 ton shaft. Notice how the shaft narrows at the end on the 1/2 ton and not the 1 ton.

I chopped down the 1 ton to fit, nixing the need for a conversion joint, since the spline count was the same on the transfer case.

1/2 Ton

1 Ton

Both had a 6" slip yoke

Due to the longer pinion on the D70, and factoring in the Zero Rate and longer shackles coming, we calculated the length to be 39.5" center cap to cap. Got it cut and balanced and remounted and took it for a small drive down the road.

It is still open headers, but just took it along side the road in the ditch trails for a bit and then back on the roads. Its obviously not running right because of the exhaust but I figured out my steering DEFINITELY needs adjusting. I might have the pitman on the wrong notch, since I can go full lock to the right and maybe halfway to the left.

http://youtu.be/mCA6vy4zkoo

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Got the KM2s mounted and balanced and put back on. Looks awesome on there. Rear axle is slightly narrower than the front, but that is fine.

Popped on one of the black Chevy caps and one of the chrome GMC caps too.

Tried to measure for the rear shaft. Ran out of jack stand and got it BARELY off the ground. These springs have ALOT more droop than my old ones.

Comparison of my 1/2 ton shaft and the 1 ton shaft. Notice how the shaft narrows at the end on the 1/2 ton and not the 1 ton.

I chopped down the 1 ton to fit, nixing the need for a conversion joint, since the spline count was the same on the transfer case.

1/2 Ton

1 Ton

Both had a 6" slip yoke

Due to the longer pinion on the D70, and factoring in the Zero Rate and longer shackles coming, we calculated the length to be 39.5" center cap to cap. Got it cut and balanced and remounted and took it for a small drive down the road.

It is still open headers, but just took it along side the road in the ditch trails for a bit and then back on the roads. Its obviously not running right because of the exhaust but I figured out my steering DEFINITELY needs adjusting. I might have the pitman on the wrong notch, since I can go full lock to the right and maybe halfway to the left.

http://youtu.be/mCA6vy4zkoo

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Testing out clearance and travel measurements. Looks to be pretty good from all angles! Front axle does move forward a bit when fully flexed out on the side that is drooped but nothing to be concerned with.

And a small clip of it driving up the hill in the back yard. Nothing special though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYOTHW_R8GI

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Tossed the grill back on to drive it to the exhaust shop. Alot of my parts were stolen over the past week sometime and I have to buy all new exhaust. Luckily alot of my stuff was locked inside.

Going with a custom built High Flow Y-pipe, keeping upstream O2s (obviously), no cat (leaving room for one for if I go to a place with inspection), a 3" Flowmaster Super 40, and axle dump.

Last edited:

Torchred

Carolina Can
Reaction score
Took me a while but I managed to get through the entire thread, love this truck. If I was to have a 4x4 this would be almost exactly what I envision. I like how the Deuce and a half snuck into the background of one of the pics too.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if you noticed or not but Black Bear performance will be doing live tunes in Anchorage and Fairbanks in August.