Skee needs some help with an SAS...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
if that is the plan, then you should go with a 8 lug d44 so then its less hassle when you do swap to a d60 as you will not need another set of wheels, what size rim you plan on running?, a ford d60 you cannot run a 8 lug 15" (steel only)unless you swap on chevy/dodge outer parts and do some grinding, a ford 8 lug d44 also has the same 2 piston calipers as the ford 60 so it also would require a chevy knuckles on out swap if you wanted 15" wheels

No I would probably sell my 15s and the tires along with it, and move up to a 16 or 17" wheel with a little more width, and probably a set of 36 or 38s to go onto them. Not sure what tire or setup of wheels yet. Thanks for the information because I will probably just go with a set of standard steel wheels for 8 lug til I can get a nice set. Plus I will be painting the truck after the SAS so Im not going to have to worry about paint on the steel wheels.

Also, what year/model Ford should I look for to pull the D44 out of? Alot of the junkyards advertise the vehicles but not a whole lot of specs on them, just wanna keep an eye out of where I can pull it from.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, what year/model Ford should I look for to pull the D44 out of? Alot of the junkyards advertise the vehicles but not a whole lot of specs on them, just wanna keep an eye out of where I can pull it from.

77.5-79 f250's and ext cab f150s will have the leaf sprung high pinion d44. Only the f250 will be 8 lug.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I am swapping to GM outers anyway, wont I just need to worry about the main D44, and then swap the GM knuckles and hubs and stuff? OR am I misunderstanding that?

True if swapping to gm outers then no its not much of an issue. If doing a 8 lug swap the the ford and gm have the same bolt pattern. Good tidbit of info outalne said on the brakes!

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
True if swapping to gm outers then no its not much of an issue. If doing a 8 lug swap the the ford and gm have the same bolt pattern. Good tidbit of info outalne said on the brakes!

Okay. I think the plan is to find a D44 and swap to the Chevy outers, and also swap the rear to probably a 14 bolt out of a 2500, and then just regear them both to the same. What springs would I need for the front? Those I would need to pull from a GM correct?

This would be a good rear end to swap, right?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/pts/3474985627.html

Or I could keep mine for the start and then swap up to a better one.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Well that depends on personal preference. You can run 47" front springs, found under the 80s Chevy trucks or you can run a 52" spring, which I believe are the rear springs from 80s ford or Chevy. I just know 52" springs you need are rear springs

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Well that depends on personal preference. You can run 47" front springs, found under the 80s Chevy trucks or you can run a 52" spring, which I believe are the rear springs from 80s ford or Chevy. I just know 52" springs you need are rear springs

I was just looking for a set of 52" I think, and probably just try to pull that from an old K5 or something.

Also, how hard is it to make your own Centerlink and drag links? I think I might have found a spot to park the truck and use the welder, along with someone to help with the process (maybe). So if it will be easier to make my own links and such, and it will be cheaper, I can use that money to pay the guy to help me with the swap. Just a thought.

And as far as the "spring pad width" Im not sure what it is for the stuff I would need to get. At 32" spring pad width, that would put it right under the frame rails more or less wouldnt it? I was also looking at the Fabworx kit.

http://www.fabworxoffroad.com/88-98-gm-straight-axle-conversion/

This has 4 seperate kits, for the 46 and 52" springs, at 32" spring pad width and then 36".

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
all are overpriced in my opinion. but since you want all bolt on youll be paying more than needed. draglink and centerlink are easy to make. go on ballistics get some thread DOM tubing and some Heims thread in the heads back the jam nut down whenever the heim is at proper length and attach the knucks and such.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
all are overpriced in my opinion. but since you want all bolt on youll be paying more than needed. draglink and centerlink are easy to make. go on ballistics get some thread DOM tubing and some Heims thread in the heads back the jam nut down whenever the heim is at proper length and attach the knucks and such.

For the links I was looking to make my own like this. I wasnt sure if they were threaded or how they worked. I will definitely looking into it. What is the difference in Heims and TRE?