Skee needs some help with an SAS...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Alright. So I am trying to get as much research on SAS as possible before I get back that way I can scrounge up all the parts as I go during this deployment. And get a list of the bigger stuff to get when I get back. I have been reading most of the SAS builds on here and get the main ideas of the process, but just want to get a thread together for me. My main concern is that I do not have a full shop to work in, so for the most part it will be a home garage thing. I also do not have the best welding skills, and will be looking for some people from the local off roading community to help me out. So mainly bolt on stuff would be best for me, maybe to be welded later on. Since the welding skills are limited, I believe keeping the transfer case in it would probably be best, due to not having to fab up a new crossmember. Just needing some others to help me weigh the pros and cons of the different options to help me along.

The truck is my DD, will see some trails and alot of mud. Ride quality for me isnt too much of a problem, as I have ridden in some rough rides. Budget isnt super low, but not enough to get me killed when I tell my fiance that Im spending too much money on the truck and not saving for the wedding. haha Just mainly looking to keep the thing legal, safe, tough, and fun.

So I am basically looking for a collective parts list, opinions on the best setups, and pretty much anything I need to know going into this.

Here it is:

I have found a few bolt on kits online, and was wanting some opinions on these, and what else would be needed.

FRONT:

-SAS Kit:
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/88-98SolidAxleConversion.htm
- 31.5"/32" spring pad width. 52" spring length. Includes greasable bushings/sleeves/bolts for the shackle and both ends of both springs -- $550

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=64
- Chevy/GMC 88-97 Solid Axle Conversion Hanger kit.
Use's Chevy 4x4 lift 73-87 era front springs.
Hangers can be pushed forward and back to stretch spring length needed to run 52 inch rear springs.
Kit is bolt on for positioning is desired, final install will require full welding.
Exhaust modifications may be needed.
Sas-001 Kit consists of front cross member, rear shackle hangers, rear shackles, bushings for shackles, and hardware. -- $369

http://www.fabworxoffroad.com/3252-straight-axle-conversion/
- 4” Increased ride height with FabWorx Offroad front springs.
Replaces IFS suspension
Allows the use of solid front axle
Uses 52” long springs
Uses 32” wide spring center axle
3” ID bracket mounting width

-Crossover steering (would go with the hi steer kit)
http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana44crossover.htm

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=342
-Includes everything. Complete HiSteer kit -- $699

http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/10-bo...kit-fullsize-straight-draglink/3163/3948/3952
-Includes everything for crossover (non hi steer with straight draglink) but also includes flat top knuckle milled and tapered

http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/10-bo...ing-kit-Fullsize-bent-draglink/3163/3948/3951
-Includes everything for crossover (non hi steer with bent draglink) but also includes flat top knuckle milled and tapered -- $589

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slf-1104
- Superlift 1104 dropped Pitman Arm -- $68.26

-Dana 44 out of a 77.5-79 Ford F250 8lug

-Flat top GM knuckles, outer (stub shaft), hubs.

-Stock brakes for hubs; Extended brake lines (both front and back)

-Shocks: Rancho RS5000 or equivalent

-Shock Mounts

REAR:

-Rear 14 bolt rear axle from Suburban 2500 or such (probably done after the main SAS is finished.)

--Rear springs from Blazer, 52" long, 32" spring pad width. Will probably build custom pack like 88GMCtruck.
"two sets of 5 leaf 1/2ton 73-87 Chevy truck rear packs. Two shorter leaves were made from one pack and added." (Quoted from his SAS build.)

-Rear Shackle flip Kit:
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm
GU48010 ‘88-'98 GM 4" lift only (*fits Tahoe with drilling required) -- $167.00

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/ne...3&PHPSESSID=085a63d43b7e505f0 335397fc2d70d8d
4.5" Drop Shackles:The kit includes two brackets to position shackles in the downward position, 1/2 inch mounting bolts, SAE flat washers and nylock nuts. Made out of ¼” steel, Mig welded, CNC laser cut and formed. -- $139.00

http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Shackle-Flip-Chevy-Truck-1-2-and-3-4-Ton-88-98/3203/3460/3475
5" lift in rear with 5" shackle, or 5.5" lift with 6" shackle -- Both $199

-4" block

A few 6 packs, some pringles, and alot of loud music on the stereo.

For the most part, it seems that I might be able to get some parts cheaper on different sites, and piece together my own kit. Most of the decisions will have to be made once I make the trip home and finish up RandR, and can actually wrench on the thing and start picking up the parts.

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya I'm in the same boat, wanting to do one yet trying to find/gather parts before hand.

other then that kit you need the crossover steering kit, may need the hi steer arms for the axle you use, if you need hi steer, you need front leaf springs, the axle, brakes, brake lines, wheels and tires to fit the axle bolt pattern.

d44 or gm 10 bolts need the flat top knuckle, either buy used and have machined as well as buy the crossover/hi steer arm, or buy one ready made for like $2xx and get the crossover arm too? I'm unsure on if you must have the arm on top or not.

I'm about 99 percent sure you need the top arm on the PS only at least for crossover, but if you want hi steer you need both ds and ps arms.

a d60 doesn't need the knuckles in most cases I guess, but does need the arm for on top for crossover from what I understand, I hope somebody can clear that up for us.

Not sure on the driveshaft if you must have one or if you can reuse your old one, or just get a 73-87 front driveshaft to use.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
I hear ya I'm in the same boat, wanting to do one yet trying to find/gather parts before hand.

other then that kit you need the crossover steering kit, may need the hi steer arms for the axle you use, if you need hi steer, you need front leaf springs, the axle, brakes, brake lines, wheels and tires to fit the axle bolt pattern.

d44 or gm 10 bolts need the flat top knuckle, either buy used and have machined as well as buy the crossover/hi steer arm, or buy one ready made for like $2xx and get the crossover arm too? I'm unsure on if you must have the arm on top or not.

I'm about 99 percent sure you need the top arm on the PS only at least for crossover, but if you want hi steer you need both ds and ps arms.

a d60 doesn't need the knuckles in most cases I guess, but does need the arm for on top for crossover from what I understand, I hope somebody can clear that up for us.

Not sure on the driveshaft if you must have one or if you can reuse your old one, or just get a 73-87 front driveshaft to use.

Yeah sorry the original post was supposed to have the link to the shackle flip and crossover steering as well but I forgot to paste them in after I bookmarked them. But for the most part I should just go for a Dana 60 and swap my transfer case? I currently have push buttone 4x4 and would probably need to do alot more modding that way as well then. As for the drive shaft Im not completely sure, and Im hoping for someone to chime in. I guess I should also add that Im currently sitting on 6" lift, and was looking for the setups like around 8" of lift or so. I see that I can get the stuff from ORD for the most part, except for the junkyard stuff needed. Which I can just get a donor and swap both axles out. I will also need to regear as well. I was sorta looking into the 8 lug conversion like 88GMCtruck, or swapping the hubs to keep the 6 lug GM pattern. Guess that will be decided when I get some more info on the axles.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know what you mean I'm not much help either as for me I'm new to it and looking to do it on my 88 which has the floor shift.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
cnotact people like outalnez71 i think is his member name. he has the solid axled yellow reg cab sort bed called mudwasp. hes a wealth of information.

otherwise it seems your going leaf sprung so an axle, brakes, rebuild the axle. if its a ford axle you need chevy outers if its a chevy youll need a different t case. brake lines, shocks, shock mounts possibly, 80s subruban driveshaft, hi steer arms, good crossover steering, tire and rims with matching lug pattern, brakcets for leafs, u joints, some metal for filling in wholes of stuff you cut out of the ifs. and then any fancy extras you want to add. i think the rule is d44 up to 35's and everything else go d60.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
I think I am going D60 just need to figure out which route to take on what to pull it from and what to do to my truck. Of it would be easier to do a ford d60 and keep my t case. or swap te case and get the Chevy.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
you would be much better off getting a Ford High Pinion D44 if you want to keep it 6 lug and a High Pinion D60 if you want to go 8 lug. From my understanding the Chevy knuckles and hubs swap right onto the Ford D44. Just need to swap axles to the opposite sides. But going 8 lug you dont have to change anything other then to a 14bolt or D70 rear axle out of a K2500 or K3500 and match up gear ratios. plus the Ford HP D60s seem to be more plentiful then the D44s

The biggest advantage to using the ford diffs is you wont have to change transfer cases

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
go with the late 70's ford 60 and call it a day, the chevy axle swap is much more work and will have a less than ideal shaft angle.

personally i would not use any of the kits because the price is way out of hand, i use stock gm parts for the hangers that you can get at the junkyard for close to free so save about $700 there and then the steering can be made with dom tube and stock gm drag link ends, then add a track bar with dom and heim joints, should cost no more than $200 for all the steering, i used the original ifs pitman arm but modified it by gutting it and dropped in the tapered part from a steering arm and welded it into the gutted pocket

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes the chevy knuckles will swap over to the ford 44. you will also need the spindles from the chevy,dust shield/caliper bracket,and outer axle shafts aswell.
how hard do you plan on wheeling the truck? if for light wheeling just get a 44 or 10 bolt. people say not to run anything over a 35 for the 44, i've been running 40's on mine
for 2 years now with no problems.just need to know when to let up on the gas if you get in a tricky situation.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes the chevy knuckles will swap over to the ford 44. you will also need the spindles from the chevy,dust shield/caliper bracket,and outer axle shafts aswell.
how hard do you plan on wheeling the truck? if for light wheeling just get a 44 or 10 bolt. people say not to run anything over a 35 for the 44, i've been running 40's on mine
for 2 years now with no problems.just need to know when to let up on the gas if you get in a tricky situation.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

a real world answer.

They also say not to run over 35's on ifs and guys do it alot too.

I DO NOT plan to wheel mine hard if ANY, and I wanted to run a chevy 10 bolt due to cost and ease of finding one.

thanks for your answer man that sure helps alot.

the hardest part with the chevy axle would be the vss equipped 241 transfer case from the 88-91 burbs and such, or run a cable to electric speedo kit which I don't think is cheap? and that would allow you to run a 208 t-case or soemthing depending on your transmission setup.