Short Vs Long bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a back up camera on my '95 K2500, it comes in handy but I do still turn my head and look plus use my mirrors. I like the fact that I can see my hitch and the trailer tongue which makes hooking up the trailer very easy. While living overseas on the island of Cyprus I had pulled my 4 door 3/4 ton Mitsubishi pickup into a parking spot against the building at a petrol station. I came out walked behind my vehicle & got in, checked my mirrors and reversed right into the nose of a small car driven by a tourist. Why he chose to pull up behind me I have no idea, also why he didn't blow his horn I don't know. My reverse lights did work and it was fortunate for us both that no damage was done. I rechecked when I got back into the truck, his car was not visible at all by looking out of the windows nor in the mirrors, a camera would have shown me his vehicle though. It is not a replacement, just another tool to be used correctly.
Very true. The sensors and back up camera are parking aids, not the things to rely on when reversing. I installed a back up camera to my wife's older Highlander that we got recently. It helps but I still physically look back, check all mirrors and back up screen. It's just funny how cheap those items can be had now a days

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Now you can buy safety features like back up sensors for $20 and back up camera with monitor for under $50 off eBay or Amazon. Those things can make backing up into a parking spot easier. I just bought a daily driver '03 tahoe, I plan to install them

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Im gonna have to agree with Skylark and DF2x4, If a person is aware of there surroundings approaching and leaving and can still turn there head to look back, anyone with practice can safely back out of a parking spot safely and successfully everytime... I also struggle at accepting new technology to make things easier, hell I still walked into banks for a decade after ATM machines were installed in my area, because I didnt trust em thinking they would eat my card or give me the wrong amount of money and wouldnt be able to prove it...... I also refused to use self check out machines to check out at stores for around the same amount of time... im a weirdo.

karl02

Reaction score
Long bed, all day long! It is just a bit difficult to maneuver in tight parking areas.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Some days I wish I had a long bed, but for most of the time, I'm glad I have a short bed. For my next GMT400, I want to get a long bed truck specifically for hauling reasons.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I also teach defensive driving. I am 100% against anything that causes a driver to get lazy. Skill is developed. If someone is always driving something with driver "aids" they won't develop skills that are necessary when they jump in a vehicle that doesn't have them.

My dad was a truck driver for years and taught me to drive in this LWB with tool boxes on the bed growing up. There was no looking over your shoulder in that thing when backing up and I still never do. I use my mirrors 100% of the time when backing up, even with trailers and have never backed into anyone before lol
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My dad was a truck driver for years and taught me to drive in this LWB with tool boxes on the bed growing up. There was no looking over your shoulder in that thing when backing up and I still never do. I use my mirrors 100% of the time when backing up, even with trailers and have never backed into anyone before lol
You must be registered for see images attach

My red truck with the Weatherguard box was the first street legal vehicle I ever drove, high five! Not quite the rear window obstruction level that you were working with there, but still pretty much made it useless for a ten year old who could barely see over the wheel. :lol:

You must be registered for see images

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Seems like I'm one of the few these days who has no interest in back up sensors or a camera. People have been backing semi trucks up with no sensors or camera for decades. I can always stick my head out the window... :lol:

I have yet to drive a vehicle (that doesn't require a CDL) that I felt uncomfortable backing up with no gadgets.
Couldn't agree with you more,mirrors are your friend.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Mirrors sure are your friend. I am against that one Ford commercial... Those teen kids relying on the backup camera... Uh, isn't that for emergency or trailer purposes?!?!?! If I ever got a backup camera, the only time I'd need it is when hooking up a trailer and that's it, to me, it ain't worth the money imho, as I can do just fine backing up, guessing where I'm at, jump out, look, and get back in and repeat the process until I am just right.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Im gonna have to agree with Skylark and DF2x4, If a person is aware of there surroundings approaching and leaving and can still turn there head to look back, anyone with practice can safely back out of a parking spot safely and successfully everytime... I also struggle at accepting new technology to make things easier, hell I still walked into banks for a decade after ATM machines were installed in my area, because I didnt trust em thinking they would eat my card or give me the wrong amount of money and wouldnt be able to prove it...... I also refused to use self check out machines to check out at stores for around the same amount of time... im a weirdo.
You're not weird at all, I am young, and do exactly that. Except I use the self-checkout machines because there are tards that I don't want to deal with lol, and it's quicker for me, but I use cash. Cash is truth and real. The rest of the stuff that you said, I do too, never trust ATMS. :)

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I use mirrors to back up, and I'm a bit undecided on the long bed vs. short bed argument, I love my ECSB K2500, it's a good DD even with the 454, but my dad's C3500 is a like driving the damn Valdez, leaks the same amount as oil too; but in terms of handiness the long bed has proven itself, it's been loaded down with camping gear and still has room. Drivability is no contest; the shortbed is ideal as I drive through some pretty tight places, especially after I've driven the C3500 for a couple days.

I haven't really used my truck for truck stuff even; hell my Suburban has done more truck stuff than either of the other GMT400s at my place.