Can't access spare tire on 98 k1500 long bed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrestonJay12

Reaction score
HI Everyone!

I can't access my spare tire on 1998 k1500 long bed, 5.7 Silverado. I had all the tools out to bring the spare tire down. But the bumper is like an inch too short to allow access to the spare tire ratcheting tube. It doesn't line up with the rod once I put it in.

Not sure if this is common problem? Can I possibly fix it from the inside by lowering the spare tire racketing tube down or if my bumper set too low? Seems like I could also drill out above the existing whole in bumper to access it as well. But I would prefer to not do that.

Or should I try to raise the rear bumper? Maybe it is misaligned or new bumper brackets?

Attachments

• 20231106_172608.jpg
    20231106_172608.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 22

NYDeer

Reaction score
If this is actually the case, take 1" ratchet strap/ nylon webbing, and guide it over the top of the tube. Pull downward on web strap/tube as somebody guides the factory tire tool through the bumper.

PrestonJay12

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Went back and looked at it.

Ended up bending down the spare tire tube to be more in line with the hole in the bumper.
I used the tools provided in the kit to get tire.

This was my first time taking down the spare tire in this truck. I might have thought it was more complicated in my head than in actual practice.

Now I have the tire out. Wheel is a bit rusty, but not bad. Debating on replacing the tire because as far as I know it was the original spare from the factory back in 1998. Tire still hold air fine, I just know it is old. I see some cracks on the rubber. Wondering if it could be dry rotted and bad or not safe to use.

I will for sure take a wire wheel to the wheel and repaint it.

Or is it cheaper to just buy a new spare?

Thanks for all the comments! Will be posting more here. Doing little projects to keep the truck up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231107_015112_Signal.jpg
    Screenshot_20231107_015112_Signal.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231107_015106_Signal.jpg
    Screenshot_20231107_015106_Signal.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 6

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Went back and looked at it.

Ended up bending down the spare tire tube to be more in line with the hole in the bumper.
I used the tools provided in the kit to get tire.

This was my first time taking down the spare tire in this truck. I might have thought it was more complicated in my head than in actual practice.

Now I have the tire out. Wheel is a bit rusty, but not bad. Debating on replacing the tire because as far as I know it was the original spare from the factory back in 1998. Tire still hold air fine, I just know it is old. I see some cracks on the rubber. Wondering if it could be dry rotted and bad or not safe to use.

I will for sure take a wire wheel to the wheel and repaint it.

Or is it cheaper to just buy a new spare?

Thanks for all the comments! Will be posting more here. Doing little projects to keep the truck up.
Looks like the original spare my 99 had under it. Either keep it as a garage ornament and replace it with new for use or discard and replace with new rubber. No way I'd put a tire thats old enough to drink on for service, especially on paved roads (driveway, farm path, idling along is another story).

Wheel looks sound from the photo.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the original spare my 99 had under it. Either keep it as a garage ornament and replace it with new for use or discard and replace with new rubber. No way I'd put a tire thats old enough to drink on for service, especially on paved roads (driveway, farm path, idling along is another story).

Wheel looks sound from the photo.
To your point, I once had an older company car that had the spare mounted underneath. The exhaust system passed fairly close to the tire, but had a shield of sorts.

One day, while sitting in my living room, I heard a loud report that sounded like a gunshot, real close by. Turned out the spare had deteriorated due to age and the heat from the exhaust system, and it exploded. If that had happened while I was driving, I would have had to change my underwear, at the very least.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the manufacture date on the spare tire. If it's 10 years old or older, you should replace it. I would still replace a spare at around 8 years old. For other tires that are exposed to UV light at all times, probably at 6 years old if they do not need to be replaced before then.