Carrying Spare Tire for my 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Looks like a GMT400 in the thread above.

Here is the information kit for 1988.

On page 30 of the PDF (standard equipment) it says.

"Spare Tire Carrier: Winch type mount under frame at rear"

On page 139 there is a rpo code "P13", described as.

"Carrier, Spare Wheel and Tire: Side mounted, available only when spare tire is specified.....no additional charge"

I couldn't find any RPO there for spare tire delete.

Below is a image/link of what the hoist parts might look like if still available.

You must be registered for see images attach

Food for thought.
That's good to know! The crew cab I bought last summer, had a spare tire in that location when I bought it. Right after the first of the year, though, someone swiped it! I think it happened at one of the Walmarts I used to work at, because I remember getting in the truck one afternoon and seeing a group of people parked several spaces away, that were looking over at my truck. It just seemed strange at the time....then a few days later I looked under the truck and saw the big empty space. The gear box part #9 is still there, but the rod and clamp that holds the tire in is gone. I've looked in the wrecking yards around here, and they apparently remove these parts because that's where they set the back of the truck on a stand when they place it in its space.
I bought a used tire on a steel wheel, off a truck in the yard, and the wheel is kinda rusty. I have it laying in the front of the bed, with a bungee cord holding it so it doesn't slide around. So far nobody's messed with it....
When I get a set of PY0s for it though, I'll be putting wheel locks on it, and a more secure setup for the spare(since those wheels will have new tires on them).

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That's good to know! The crew cab I bought last summer, had a spare tire in that location when I bought it. Right after the first of the year, though, someone swiped it! I think it happened at one of the Walmarts I used to work at, because I remember getting in the truck one afternoon and seeing a group of people parked several spaces away, that were looking over at my truck. It just seemed strange at the time....then a few days later I looked under the truck and saw the big empty space. The gear box part #9 is still there, but the rod and clamp that holds the tire in is gone. I've looked in the wrecking yards around here, and they apparently remove these parts because that's where they set the back of the truck on a stand when they place it in its space.
I bought a used tire on a steel wheel, off a truck in the yard, and the wheel is kinda rusty. I have it laying in the front of the bed, with a bungee cord holding it so it doesn't slide around. So far nobody's messed with it....
When I get a set of PY0s for it though, I'll be putting wheel locks on it, and a more secure setup for the spare(since those wheels will have new tires on them).

Weird that someone took it from underneath. So you're saying they cut the cable and plate off that captures the rim?

I don't have my tire secured in the bed, it's free to slide, but it always ends up in the front and seems to stay there. The part I hate about it, is that I get leaves back there.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured it was. Have you come up with a plan? I started keeping my tire in the bed since if I need it, the last thing I want to do is fiddle with a spare held under the truck in the snow/rain or fight with trying to lower it.
That’s funny, mines in perfect condition and recently painted it along with frame. Spare is still in bed though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That’s funny, mines in perfect condition and recently painted it along with frame. Spare is still in bed though.

I never fought with mine, but I've not used it in years. I did have to fight with one on a work van though. Super frustrating when it'll only come down an inch. Thankfully the van was in the company lot, and I could work on getting it free over time.... spray crap on it, and work the winch back and forth until it eventually freed up.

Keeping the tire in the bed was something I learned from a friends father. They would go camping a lot, and and if he needed the tire he didn't want to have to work just to get the spare. He also would have a trailer in the way of access of course. He was also an over the road truck driver.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had bought a new Chevy luv 4x4 and it came with the spare mounted in the bed. My 55 GMC stepside had the spare mounted outside of bed and had a quarter circle formed out of the front of left rear fender. To clear the tire.
The wife and I went to a movie a few years back walking back to truck I can see the hoist hook hanging down extended, yep someone " borrowed " my spare, forever. A new Firestone on a rally rim. :3811797817_8d685371

rose359

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured it was. Have you come up with a plan? I started keeping my tire in the bed since if I need it, the last thing I want to do is fiddle with a spare held under the truck in the snow/rain or fight with trying to lower it.
I am just started to think about it; it is a low priority. I am presently setting up a manual carb choke control. I thought I was going electric choke, but the primary throttle shaft is 1/4" too long, and Holley wants about $200 for a replacement primary throttle body.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I had bought a new Chevy luv 4x4 and it came with the spare mounted in the bed. My 55 GMC stepside had the spare mounted outside of bed and had a quarter circle formed out of the front of left rear fender. To clear the tire.
The wife and I went to a movie a few years back walking back to truck I can see the hoist hook hanging down extended, yep someone " borrowed " my spare, forever. A new Firestone on a rally rim. :3811797817_8d685371
All the old trucks used to mount it there, on the stepsides. Of course all trucks used to be stepsides! We never had problems getting the spare down on our square body trucks, and on the Burbs it was inside. Then it's just "getting stuff out from in front of it".... When we packed for a swap meet trip, we'd put the floor jack and tools there since we'd need those for a tire change.
The main vehicle we had problems with the spare winch was mom's Pacifica; they put the spare underneath because it takes up most of the cargo area otherwise!