Shave gas door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone did this? If so where did you relocate the filer tube?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone did this? If so where did you relocate the filer tube?

The most common place to relocate the filler tube on trucks is into the bed. That's where mine will be on my 67', granted that has a relocated tank in the rear frame rails, but that would still be the best place to mount on a 88-98 as well. On tahoes, burbs, etc., the filler tube can be relocated into the right rear tail light bucket and then a hinge on the tail light assy to access it!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Mean Green...have you been reading my mind? This is one of the mods I'm doing to my '98. Supposed to be a damn secret!
Because of what I do, I get to work on a lot of very different vehicles. Over the years, I've probably done a dozen shoe-box Chevy interiors. From totally stock 4dr, 6 cyl. cars to 1100hp ground pounders. This is a mod I've seen that the custom guys do.
The '55's have a gas door similar to our trucks, but the '56's have the gas door behind the left rear tail light. Makes for a much smoother look. The '55 guys have come up with a mod to eliminate the gas door & place the filler neck behind the tail light.
Check this link out. I think that with a little modification that this could be made to work on a GMT400.

http://www.customrodder.com/tech/0601cr_fuel_door/index.html

For this, you would have to use the Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade fuel tank. I've been told that it will bolt in, but you will have to lose or relocate the spare tire.

Now quit reading my mind, dammit!

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Now that is slick! But I have a tonneau on both my trucks, only because the previous owners used the trucks as trucks, so the boxes are not that pretty. And with what I do, I need to be able to carry complete interiors, so I have the vinyl style. The fiberglass ones won't work for me. With the filler inside the box, & a tonneau over it, I'd kinda be worried about fuel fume build up. Other than that, very cool!

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that is slick! But I have a tonneau on both my trucks, only because the previous owners used the trucks as trucks, so the boxes are not that pretty. And with what I do, I need to be able to carry complete interiors, so I have the vinyl style. The fiberglass ones won't work for me. With the filler inside the box, & a tonneau over it, I'd kinda be worried about fuel fume build up. Other than that, very cool!

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...593-project-filler-neck-behind-taillight.html

Deanoo

Reaction score
Hi i have been trying to figure out how you run your filler tube to get it in the inside of the bed

Reaction score
I've been searching for the same trying to see if anyone sells a filler neck to go inside the bed or if you have to modify existing or make one... My 94 is bagged but kept original tank and location just need to relocate the filler neck to the inside of the bed so I can shave the filler door.
Anyone done this?