Scanner install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Sierra

Reaction score
I recently sold my Nissan Frontier and bought a 99 GMC K1500. I kept the Uniden BC355N scanner I had in the Frontier and flush mounted it in the empty factory CD player slot. Nothing fancy in this setup, but it's the perfect radio to monitor VHF/UHF comms when I'm out on forest roads. Especially fire broadcasts during wildfire season. And I have satellite radio for tunes/football way out in the middle of nowhere. This time around I had a local stereo shop do the installation since it required a bit of custom fab to fit the scanner in the CD player slot. I did it myself on the Nissan and taking off the dash and running wires is a PITA, so I paid a few extra bucks and let someone else suffer with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

The old truck:

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good.

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but for anyone who isn't... Some states and/or cities have laws regarding the use of UHF/VHF scanners in mobile applications, and they don't like catching people with them in vehicles. If you're considering installing a scanner in your vehicle then do some research on the scanner laws in your area first.

Some areas in my neck of the woods are pretty picky, I use a handheld Uniden Bearcat whenever I feel the need to have a scanner on the go. That way I can just shut it off and throw it in the console if need be, no permanent install. Range is pretty good even without an external antenna.

99Sierra

Reaction score
No legal issues with this setup in AZ. I like the "close call" feature found in Uniden scanners - when a strong signal is detected within a close range, it will automatically tune to that frequency. There is also a daily VHF fire conditions forecast broadcast from the state forestry dept that is very useful on camping trips. No CB in the truck anymore though, they're pretty much useless now.