New scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so here’s the situation. My dad is getting a new distributor on his 97 Sierra with a 7.4. A local shop quoted him $160 in labor + parts and materials. The shop wants to take the upper intake off to do the job. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure the upper intake is not required to replace the distributor.

Anyway either way im comfortable doing the job however I do not have scanning capabilities to set the cmp. I have a blue driver Bluetooth dongle for my phone but it will not bring up cmp. My dad offered to buy a scanner that would in exchange for replacing the distributor.

What’s out there for options? I see tons of scanners but I don’t see where you can see things like cmp readings untill after you buy it. I’m not totally against another Bluetooth setup but I think I’d like a real scanner. I know it would be a stretch but $160 would be ideal. But I wouldn’t mind spending a little more for one that would have better features.

The main vehicles I’d use it on are

my dads 97 sierra
My 96 k1500
My 2011 Silverado 2500.

If whatever’s out there can cover those things with things like cmp or even some bi directional capabilities I’d be interested…..

The torque ap and dash command seem to be really popular. I’m just Leary because I bought the blue driver thinking it would do more for me….

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A "real" scan tool for $160 is unlikely. Check pawn shops, who knows what may be out there...but I still think it's unlikely.

Software + Laptop + connector cable, maybe. Bluetooth dongle, maybe. I can't help you with those--ZERO experience with 'em.

$300--$400 and up, could get you a real scan tool plus accessory bundle. I bought mine used, from sellers on eBay.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dash Command app-$9.99
Then $9.95 for specific year. And yes you get CMP.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it was my money, I bought used Snap-On professional-grade tools from sellers on eBay.

20-something years ago, I bought the first-generation MT/MTG 2500 series, and software cartridges covering the range from 1980 1/2 up to 2005 (software version 6.2; 2006 2nd Quarter.) When that died, I bought a third-generation Solus Pro with 8.2 (2008, 2nd Quarter, good to 2007.) The Solus series--any of them--are far superior to the '2500 series especially in memory and graphing (which the MT2500 does not do at all, and the MTG2500 does, but in rudimentary style.) You'd want the scan tool, a functional battery, ( 9-volt on MT2500, custom "rechargeable" on MTG2500 and newer, and they're always worn-out or nearly worn-out) the operators manuals (paper or DVD) a selection of OBD1 connectors to suit every vehicle you intend to scan, an OBD2 connector + "personality keys" for the earlier units (later units don't need them.) Be sure the tool you buy has VIN-specific software new enough for the vehicles you're going to use it on. There is NO support for the earlier models--no software upgrades, no repairs, no spare parts except what happens to fit the later models.

There's Solus, Solus Pro, Solus Ultra, Solus Edge, and the current model, Solus Legend. There's other Snap-On models as well.

There are competing brands in the Professional category, from a number of manufacturers some of which custom-label their product for the Tool Truck brands--Mac, Matco, Cornwell. So you can buy a "Mac" scan tool for example, but it's really someone else's tool, with a different-color case and the price tag jacked-up.

I have zero experience with non-Snap-On scan tools, the computer + software + connector, the dongle + smartphone, etc. I can't help with any of those.

at7615

Reaction score
Anyone tried this scanner yet?

TylerSteez

Reaction score
everyone seems to love the new launch scanners on amazon. will have to do some research on the exact model you want/need but they have tons of features at a great price point. even the cheaper otofix's are hot right now as well. I plan on buying one in the next couple weeks