Scanner that tests sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 94 c2500 gmc sierra. I've been throwing parts at it to get the idle better which got me wondering is there a tool that would scan an obd1 truck and tell you if a sensor is working within certain parameters or at all? I'm not getting any codes to help me so I'd be looking for something that would allow me to check them without a check engine code

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most people would use a digital multimeter to check sensors and sender's, there is a difference. Check voltage, resistance etc.
Can pick them up fairly cheap, as compared to a actual Snapon or equivalent data reader.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes! There are. Most run-of-the-mill scanners won’t do that. You’d have to spend a bit on a used Snap On or get a GM Tech2 clone from China. A multimeter paired with the FSM would work well also.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 94 c2500 gmc sierra. I've been throwing parts at it to get the idle better which got me wondering is there a tool that would scan an obd1 truck and tell you if a sensor is working within certain parameters or at all? I'm not getting any codes to help me so I'd be looking for something that would allow me to check them without a check engine code
How are you checking for codes?
Just no check engine light?
Or did you use the OBD1 port and have the CEL flash?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there a tool that would scan an obd1 truck and tell you if a sensor is working within certain parameters or at all?

A scan tool can’t vary the throttle from closed to WOT, for testing a TPS.

Neither can it apply vacuum, for testing a MAP sensor.

These are examples that come to mind of sensors that couldn’t be tested “within certain parameters” without user interaction.

Last edited: