Rider's '94 K1500 Ecsb aka "Vegas"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Well....it's looking more and more like the Vegas is getting stripped of its problematic drive by wire system and going back to a mechanical injection pump with a stand alone transmission control. By doing this conversion I will finally get this truck to the point I can actually rely on it for more then a week....I didn't want to give up on the dbw system considering I did spend a few hundred in trying to sort it out. But enough is enough....

Plan thus far:

Convert to db2 mechanical injection pump
Redo push button glow plug controller with relay and ford glow plug control
Rewire lift pump to have a emergency kill switch and relay between it and ignition hot power source
New batteries.

Once the above is completed I will resume previous plans...

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Well...after a lot of thought and some discussion about the towing ability of this truck the following decision has been made...

I will see if i can somehow afford to pick up the New old stock injection pump i was looking at this week...which means i will be giving the Drive by wire system one last chance to prove itself. Since the new pump comes with a new PMD i will prob buy a new heat sink kit for it to relocate it to the front of the truck. Fortunately when i bought the new PMD/FSD kit thats currently on the truck i bought the Flight Systems kit that is backwards compatible with the old black box Standadyne PMD so i can reuse the harness from that kit. So all i will need is the heat sink itself. Reason im going this route is im going to see if the Flight system unit actually works properly or not. It may have glitched before i parked the truck and tried to make Vegas into a Diesel powered Prius lol...

With that said i am also looking into the following upgrades to the trucks cooling system...

97+ High output water pump
21 blade Duramax fan
new radiator (may see if there is any higher performance aluminum ones out there that will work)
electric pusher fan
improved oil cooler set up with AN fittings in place of the push lock system that is failure prone
aux transmission cooler

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well...after a lot of thought and some discussion about the towing ability of this truck the following decision has been made...

I will see if i can somehow afford to pick up the New old stock injection pump i was looking at this week...which means i will be giving the Drive by wire system one last chance to prove itself. Since the new pump comes with a new PMD i will prob buy a new heat sink kit for it to relocate it to the front of the truck. Fortunately when i bought the new PMD/FSD kit thats currently on the truck i bought the Flight Systems kit that is backwards compatible with the old black box Standadyne PMD so i can reuse the harness from that kit. So all i will need is the heat sink itself. Reason im going this route is im going to see if the Flight system unit actually works properly or not. It may have glitched before i parked the truck and tried to make Vegas into a Diesel powered Prius lol...

With that said i am also looking into the following upgrades to the trucks cooling system...

97+ High output water pump
21 blade Duramax fan
new radiator (may see if there is any higher performance aluminum ones out there that will work)
electric pusher fan
improved oil cooler set up with AN fittings in place of the push lock system that is failure prone
aux transmission cooler

any recent updates? im just a couple hours from ya in spruce home sask, im thinking about getting a 6.5 1500 and how are they in the winters we haave here? my 5.7 does fine but im worried about the diesel, trucks in mint shape all new heads, valves, lifters, pmd relocate, lift pump, injection pump and he wants to trade me for my 5.7, p.s its a 1998, pps, im heading to lloyd soon with the boys, any good bars you would reccommend?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
any recent updates? im just a couple hours from ya in spruce home sask, im thinking about getting a 6.5 1500 and how are they in the winters we haave here? my 5.7 does fine but im worried about the diesel, trucks in mint shape all new heads, valves, lifters, pmd relocate, lift pump, injection pump and he wants to trade me for my 5.7, p.s its a 1998, pps, im heading to lloyd soon with the boys, any good bars you would reccommend?
No recent updates on this truck yet.

As long as all the above listed parts are quality pieces and you make sure to add diesel additives like anti gel to each tankfull you should be fine. Also make sure to keep it plugged in at anything below -10c. These trucks are hard to get fired up otherwise. Mine has a manual glowplug control to help with this.

As for bars I would suggest either original Joe's or great Canadian brewhouse. There are a couple new bars I haven't checked out yet. Tilted kilt and Tier ultra lounge.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No recent updates on this truck yet.

As long as all the above listed parts are quality pieces and you make sure to add diesel additives like anti gel to each tankfull you should be fine. Also make sure to keep it plugged in at anything below -10c. These trucks are hard to get fired up otherwise. Mine has a manual glowplug control to help with this.

As for bars I would suggest either original Joe's or great Canadian brewhouse. There are a couple new bars I haven't checked out yet. Tilted kilt and Tier ultra lounge.
Awesome thanks for everything haha. And if I end up taking my truck well have to meet up some time and make all the other 400 members jealous we can do that

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
That's another thing about the 6.5 the older version ips do not tolerate ultra low sulphur diesel at all...if the truck has the old version ip make sure to keep some two stroke oil or atf handy to add to the tank.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's another thing about the 6.5 the older version ips do not tolerate ultra low sulphur diesel at all...if the truck has the old version ip make sure to keep some two stroke oil or atf handy to add to the tank.

ill for sure take that into consideration! the trade isnt final it was just an offer so who knows if ill take it or not