Removing intake, any tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a secret to remove an intake off a 20-year-old engine? :(

I'm replacing the intake gaskets and I'm at the point of removing the intake from the block. I've tried inserting a thin paint scrapper between the intake and the block to free it up a little but it's not gettting the job done.
You must be registered for see images attach

Any tips/secrets would help.

Last edited:

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cannot remember the number of bolts off the top of my head. Did you remove the distributor and egr tube already?
I had to use a pry bar carefully to lift mine off since it was stuck so well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are only eight bolts. Assuming that you've already pulled the distributor and all the other lines/hoses, you also need to remove the driver's side valve cover, disconnect the EGR line from the intake, and loosen the accessory drive bracket so it hangs forward far enough for the AC compressor mount to clear the intake manifold. With the driver's valve cover off, you should see a small tab near the intake/head mating surface that you can use a large screwdriver or small prybar to gently pry up on the intake. It should pop off with some firm pressure, or at most a pop or two with the heel of your hand.

Edit: This is all assuming that you have a Vortec engine. If you have a TBI, as your sig suggests, disregard the above post. TBI intakes have 12 bolts, and you should only have to disconnect the rad/heater lines, vacuum hoses, fuel lines, and all wire connectors in addition to pulling the distributor. Same procedure as above with the screwdriver/pry bar. Be sure you have ALL the intake bolts out, though.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cannot remember the number of bolts off the top of my head. Did you remove the distributor and egr tube already?
I had to use a pry bar carefully to lift mine off since it was stuck so well.

Dist is off but I left the egr on, I thought I could leave it on.

Yes, there are only eight bolts. Assuming that you've already pulled the distributor and all the other lines/hoses, you also need to remove the driver's side valve cover, disconnect the EGR line from the intake, and loosen the accessory drive bracket so it hangs forward far enough for the AC compressor mount to clear the intake manifold. With the driver's valve cover off, you should see a small tab near the intake/head mating surface that you can use a large screwdriver or small prybar to gently pry up on the intake. It should pop off with some firm pressure, or at most a pop or two with the heel of your hand.

Ok, I didn't remove the driver's side valve cover. I know it needs to be remove for reinstall tho. I'll get back to it in the morning and remove the drvs valve cover first. Thanks for the tips.

This Fel-Pro image of the MS93317 intake gasket shows 6 bolt holes on each side, maybe I missed 2 bolts in the rear on each side?

You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• wbovgbM.jpg
    wbovgbM.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 24

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dist is off but I left the egr on, I thought I could leave it on.

Ok, I didn't remove the driver's side valve cover. I know it needs to be remove for reinstall tho. I'll get back to it in the morning and remove the drvs valve cover first. Thanks for the tips.

This Fel-Pro image of the MS93317 intake gasket shows 6 bolt holes on each side, maybe I missed 2 bolts in the rear on each side?

You must be registered for see images

Entirely possible. The two in the center can sometimes be covered in oil/trash that builds up in that area. Double and triple check before prying on it.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, 88-95 has 12 bolts, 96 & later have 8 bolts. My rear 4 must have gunk covering the bolt heads. I suppose it would have helped if I had read the manual already in my possession. How do you guys put up with people like me? smh

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Intake is off, got a good bit of cleaning done. Ridiculous amount of sludge inside. I'm too embarrassed to post pics. :(