Rebuilding front end parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I just did my Ball joints... worst job ever.. but the are done, also i had to take off my upper control arms.. is there any way to put them back in properly? i just bolted them up and tightened them where they sat. any hints to removing the hubs?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did my Ball joints... worst job ever.. but the are done, also i had to take off my upper control arms.. is there any way to put them back in properly? i just bolted them up and tightened them where they sat. any hints to removing the hubs?

You will have to get it alligned after removing the upper control arms, but you should be able to get it close if you can tell where the cam plates were sitting.

The hubs are easy to remove. Once the brake caliper and rotor are off remove the axle nut, then there are only 3 bolts that hold the hub assembly on. Clean the heads off good and make sure socket is placed on good before giving any tourqe to them. Now if they have not been off in a while they can take some beating and prying to get out of the spindle. I always coat the new ones with grease before putting back in.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
yupp hubs are easy to remove, almost too easy for a 200$ part lol. I will get it aligned after i do my tie rod ends and crank it to a nice height. i'm pretty sure tha cam plates are probably off a bunch. i dont put many kms on it through the week so hopefully i can get it ready to be aligned by the weekend

bigwavedave

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It turned out okay rock auto sent me the wrong lower ball joints, so I had to run to oriellys and get the correct ones. I got everything installed taking my time in roughly 9 hours. I was doing it by myself and just hammered away at it. She is at the alignment shop right now.

Tools required are assorted wrenches, assorted sockets, ball joint press, jacks and jack stands, BFH, patience....

I had a lift and air tools.

95 Z71

Reaction score
Hmmm I have the exact same model you have and my ball joints are not the press in type, oh and them are a ***** to do, but why were there to different types of front ends on these trucks???

Bertiespeed

||*||CDNP 4 life
Reaction score
i just did my front end too i tell u the ball joint press made it smooth for putting in the new lowers along with the BFH to get old ones out haha. Had to use a sawsall too for my sway links they were bad !!

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It turned out okay rock auto sent me the wrong lower ball joints, so I had to run to oriellys and get the correct ones. I got everything installed taking my time in roughly 9 hours. I was doing it by myself and just hammered away at it. She is at the alignment shop right now.

Tools required are assorted wrenches, assorted sockets, ball joint press, jacks and jack stands, BFH, patience....

I had a lift and air tools.

Yes, I know this thread is extremely old but I am using it as reference for a front end rebuild parts list. You received the wrong lower ball joints because you ordered the wrong part numbers. The correct lower ball joints should be part number Mogg K6477. Not the K6291 you have listed in your first post. Just pointing this out to anyone else who may come across this thread and use it for reference.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score