Rear diff cover bolt size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always reuse your stock ones if needed. If I had to guess I'd say 8mm-1.25x16...

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats to damn expensive for a cover imo

True , the one I want to get is $215.. I don't want a stamped cover and the rest all seem to start at around $120 .............

Its stupid spensive!!

(edit) well I went to the main site and got the info I needed:Big Laugh:

copy and paist........

Bolt Information

PML includes mounting bolts with all differential covers. PML provides bolts that are longer than the stock bolts since the flange on PML's cover is much thicker than stock. The bolts with the stock cover will not work.

GM has used four different bolts on these differentials so to complete your order, we need to know which bolts you have. These differentials have used both metric and standard cover bolts. The bolt length has not been consistent either. When ordering one of these covers, you will need to pull one of your stock bolts out (a top bolt is best) and measure the length and determine whether it is metric or standard.
•Bolt length is measured from the underside of the head (where a washer would sit) to the tip. If the bolts are metric, the length will be 21mm or 16mm. If the bolt is standard, the length will be 5/8 inch or 7/8 inch.
•Metric bolts will have 20 threads per inch, standard ones will have 18. Also, a bolt head with lines or letters on it is typically standard. A bolt with numbers such as 5.8, 9.8, 10.9, or 12.9 is likely to be metric.

We know this is a hassle, but we do not want to send the wrong bolts or charge everyone a lot of extra money to cover sending all possible bolts with each cover

Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
That's a nice looking cover, but not sure if I could drop that kind of cash for a diff cover

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
take 1 bolt to home depot and find a nut that it threads in to, then get new bolts in that thread pitch.

thats exactly what I did. I cant remember the size.

I think 5/16ths and 1.5 are 2 winners in the size though

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take 1 bolt to home depot and find a nut that it threads in to, then get new bolts in that thread pitch.

thats exactly what I did. I cant remember the size.

I think 5/16ths and 1.5 are 2 winners in the size though

That diff cover comes with new bolts, that's the reason for needing to know the size.... Mine are 5/16in-18x7/8 bolts.

But now im thinking of going with this one instead...:naughty:

just wonder if its any good or will the thing leak........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251340109365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
The cover itself wont leak.

If you do it yourself just make sure to clean the gasket surface on the rear differential very good, I usually use a die grinder with a light grit wizzy wheel, then emory cloth, brake clean the ring and spiders, wiper it all clean, brake clean gasket surface 1 more time, apply gasket sealer to cover and stick it on, put all bolts in by hand and tighten in a star pattern.

torque is probably around 15 ft lbs, its easy to strip the threads in the differential, 1 bolt stripped can cause it to leak.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
the cover in my signature was a raw steel 15 dollar cover from Rowerdinks I painted myself, still doesnt leak, but the shiny bolts got rusty and paint has since chipped.