Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bob Is The Oil Guy is an entire forum dedicated to armchair engineers arguing about which dinosaur juice is better, and its absolutely insufferable. I second the motion to return to whale oil.
What in tarnation? Whale Oil?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many decades ago used to take stuff directly to the dump, they'd let you in with your pickup truck, trailer, etc. No idea if they still do that. You drive right up on top of the hill along with all the garbage trucks, earthmovers, etc. and offload your crap. Really unpleasant. Gives you a different perspective on waste.. what you purchase/consume/use/throw out.

Richard
We do this at a transfer station. Our 5 cans cost $20 and it takes about 2 months to fill them. Trash service is $75 a month for 1 can.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Last time I took stuff to the dump it was expensive, and I unloaded the trailer into a roll-off that would get emptied later. I helped a friend clean out his grandma's basement, and we had a full trailer. The trailer is maybe 8'x4'x4'? We just stood on top of the stuff and kept pitching stuff out until it was gone. This was probably about 15 years ago.

I haven't been on the hill since I was a kid, with my dad. I don't really remember big equipment being run, and I don't recall much of a hill, so it could have just been a pile on the ground that would get moved later. I was pretty young, so I was probably not super aware. I do remember being intrigued by a vacuum cleaner that someone had dumped.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A similar position I occupied for 18 months, while working in the Ground Support shop at United Airlines. We worked/ serviced... the lavatory service trucks.
I used to work GSE for the Navy as a contractor. They'd bring in a full lav cart for us to work on, and we'd turn them right around. "Go empty that $#!+!" They still stank to high heaven, mostly of funky blue chemicals. The most common failure was that they would leave it outside in 20*F weather and the brass pump for the blue water would crack, leaking fluid everywhere. Of course, it was 20*F outside, so you had to bring it into the shop to make the repair.

We always made sure we had the parts lined up before we started. We'd pull the cart in, slam the pump, and roll that $#!+cart right back out.

Maybe we ought to go back to ***** whale oil.
1970 Datsun 240Zs had fish oil in the front shocks to save a few bucks. Apparently they were nasty funky when they leaked.

Ive used cheap "303" hydraulic fluid in a ton of TH400s and Powerglides. It works plus it can tighten up the torque converter some too.
I've also heard of people putting old Ford Type F into a GM transmission to tighten it back up for a last thousand hundred miles. I've never dared to try it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've also heard of people putting old Ford Type F into a GM transmission to tighten it back up for a last thousand hundred miles. I've never dared to try it.
Anymore they're the same stuff. My wife's '15 Escape uses the same as I put in my '88

www.amazon.com/Valvoline-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-883572-EA/dp/B08HL854ZX/ref=asc_df_B08HL854ZX?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264458940010&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863989950178&th=1

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hmmm we're having that message again for htts:// prefix.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to work GSE for the Navy as a contractor. They'd bring in a full lav cart for us to work on, and we'd turn them right around. "Go empty that $#!+!" They still stank to high heaven, mostly of funky blue chemicals. The most common failure was that they would leave it outside in 20*F weather and the brass pump for the blue water would crack, leaking fluid everywhere. Of course, it was 20*F outside, so you had to bring it into the shop to make the repair.

We always made sure we had the parts lined up before we started. We'd pull the cart in, slam the pump, and roll that $#!+cart right back out.

1970 Datsun 240Zs had fish oil in the front shocks to save a few bucks. Apparently they were nasty funky when they leaked.

B&M used to spec Type F with either their shift kit or their converters if "B&M Trick Shift fluid wasn't available".

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cliff Ruggles explains this in his TH350 book. Not so much to prolong the life of a failing tranny but to firm up shifts.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anymore they're the same stuff. My wife's '15 Escape uses the same as I put in my '88

www.amazon.com/Valvoline-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-883572-EA/dp/B08HL854ZX/ref=asc_df_B08HL854ZX?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80264458940010&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863989950178&th=1

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hmmm we're having that message again for htts:// prefix.
Yeah,I think type F ended with the AOD's and E4OD's