Ratchets.... quick release or non release?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm looking at ratchets still. You may recall I asked about flex/swivel heads last. Now, I'd like to know about quick release and non-quick release. I can see the non, being a benefit in low clearance situations, but I wonder if there is more to it.

The flex head I bought, is a quick release, and I find I'm flexing the head instead of releasing the socket, which is a bit irritating. The next purchase will be a non-flex head, However.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer quick release because it seems whenever I have a ratchet without it, I find my fingers slipping trying to remove the socket. For my flex head quick release ratchets, I'm usually gripping the flex head itself when pressing the button so it does what I expected.

Richard

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No quick release on my flex head ratchets. The button just gets in the way.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This didn't go how I expected. I figured a few people would cite situations where a non-quick release was preferred.

Thanks for the input, I'll go with the quick release.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like one without a quick release. It’s easier to smack it against my roll cart and swap sockets if my hands are oily than to fiddle with a button. My two go to ratchets in 3/8 is the Mac XR1390APA and the Pittsburgh long handle flex 3/8.