Ratchets.... quick release or non release?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own non-quick-release ratchets; but either I inhereted the ratchet from someone else, or it's a matter of "I wouldn't have bought them if the company had offered them as a QR version".

I have NEVER found that QR gets in the way or becomes a clearance problem. OTOH, I really hate having to pry sockets off the ratchet with a screwdriver.

Things are worst in 1/4" drive; bad in 3/8" drive, not-so-bad in 1/2" drive, and no big deal in 3/4" and larger sizes. Small sockets are just harder to grip than bigger ones.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A piece of trivia, do you remember where the quick release ratchet wrench came from? FWIU some guy invented it and went to Sears/Craftsman to show it to them and, some how, Sears screwed him out of the patent, or something like that. Anyone else remember how it came about?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A piece of trivia, do you remember where the quick release ratchet wrench came from? FWIU some guy invented it and went to Sears/Craftsman to show it to them and, some how, Sears screwed him out of the patent, or something like that. Anyone else remember how it came about?

I've nver heard that, but I do know that Ford got intermittent wipers that way. The man with the design sued, and finally got a pay out in the 80's (or maybe just his family/estate?).

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Little humor....How many times have you guys try to remove a socket from a ratchet and pull and pull and pull and it won't come off,then you realize it's a quick realease....grrrrrr!! LOL

I've done that.... I think it depends on what socket or extension I'm using too. I think the ones that have the through hole instead of just a detent, won't come off, without pushing the button.

Grr Grr, why. won't. this. come. off??? Oh.... looks around to see if anyone saw me have a mini-melt-down.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I've done that.... I think it depends on what socket or extension I'm using too. I think the ones that have the through hole instead of just a detent, won't come off, without pushing the button.

Grr Grr, why. won't. this. come. off??? Oh.... looks around to see if anyone saw me have a mini-melt-down.
Yeah,and the problem is I'll do it again and again...I give up HaHa!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long, drawn-out history of Sears and the Roberts QR ratchet.
Yeah, that's what I remember about Roberts, just couldn't remember how it transpired. I did remember that Sears was the 1st to market the QR ratchet. But Sears started in the 1800's, not 1986 as mentioned in "I. Sears". :anitoof:

I. Sears​

In 1986, Richard Warren Sears was a railroad station agent in remote North Redwood, Minnesota, when he received a shipment of unwanted watches from a Chicago jeweler.