Best flex head ratchet style?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I stopped by HF today to get a look, first hand. I bought the swivel head Pittsburgh, and will order the flexhead Tekton. I didn't realize until I had them in hand, that the HF flex head ratchets (even the expensive ICON line) don't have detents to keep the head in position, but rely on the friction with the handle. The Tekton is also 90 tooth rather than 72.

That link to Northern Tool, that Bigfutz posted, lead me to explore what they had..... I had no idea Milwaukee had hand tools now. Their ratchets look really nice, but they don't have any flexheads. I still may get one of their straight ratchets.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to mention that I really don't like the HF because it lacks that feature where it doesn't lock positively. That's the first flex head I bought, even tried squeezing the head on a vice, but didn't help much...so I didn't buy the other one in that brand.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to mention that I really don't like the HF because it lacks that feature where it doesn't lock positively. That's the first flex head I bought, even tried squeezing the head on a vice, but didn't help much...so I didn't buy the other one in that brand.

Well speak up next time!!!:jester:

I went ahead and got the swivel head becasue they all seem to be the same design.... split handle with a screw to tighten it. Plus, even if it does get loose, it's just going to spin, not flop..... and it was less than $20.

Edit: If I like this Pittsburgh, I may go back for the 1/4" drive.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well speak up next time!!!:jester:

I went ahead and got the swivel head becasue they all seem to be the same design.... split handle with a screw to tighten it. Plus, even if it does get loose, it's just going to spin, not flop..... and it was less than $20.

Edit: If I like this Pittsburgh, I may go back for the 1/4" drive.
Get one of each and try them out side-by-side. Save your receipt and return the one you didn't like. Some guys actually prefer the one that doesn't have the detents...

I'm just a DIYer, so don't use them enough to get bothered by either design.

Attachments

• IMG_20220102_182057419.jpg
    IMG_20220102_182057419.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If buying a flex head ratchet, my first choice would be one with a positive locking feature. Snap On makes one in Snap On quality for Snap On prices:

GearWrench also makes one at GearWrench quality for GearWrench prices:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the detents. I finally bought a locking flex head ratchet from the Matco truck and I hate it too. I keep accidentally locking it when I wouldn't want it to. I'll probably either give it to my son or try to trade it off.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not at all a premium brand, but i have been extrmeely pleased with two
You must be registered for see images attach

a longer 3/8 and a shorter 1/4. Amazing ratchets so far.

they also make a swivel

I should get it

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I have had my snap-on flex head 3/8 and 1/4" drives now for 20yrs and absolutely love em. They are my go-to ratchet, I had a now ex co-worker steal my 1/2" flex head snap-on, so I need to rebuy it. But I am thinking of switching to a different brand of ratchets all together.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not at all a premium brand, but i have been extrmeely pleased with two

a longer 3/8 and a shorter 1/4. Amazing ratchets so far.

they also make a swivel

I should get it
Titan seems to have some unique items, like the shallow upsize socket adapters. Perfect for running 1/2” sockets on my 3/8” Milwaukee M12 stubby impact.