1994 GMC SIERRA 2500 6-Lug(Light Duty)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94BLU3

Reaction score
Hey guys, Not quite sure where to post so I apologize if this is the wrong spot.(Still very new in the forum) I want lift my truck enough to get 35's with a decent offset, just want it to have a good stance. Nothing crazy, mostly daily driving and Utah terrain camping. I am okay with the Cali cut or whatever cutting needs cut.

Here's the problem: my trusted Big O' money collector says there's only one lift that will fit my truck since it's a "mixed truck" with a 6-lug suspension on a 2500 truck witch means the +$2,000 lift is the only one that will fit..

I'm not all the way special, but I think it's safe to call bs that there's only one.

So I need your guys help. I have read sites that say 1500 suspension will work on a light duty 2500 6-lug and equally some that say they don't and I can't start spending money I don't have if I don't know which parts to buy.. Do I need a special part or lift kit to make them compatible or something?

I want to make my own truck thread thing eventually to keep track of all my progress, especially it being a "Half-Breed" and all since info about them is rare to rookies like me that don't know where to look.. Any help or advice is appreciated TIA.

This is my guy: (somewhat current)
You must be registered for see images attach

This is where Im aiming: (with a grain of salt)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A 1500 lift kit will do you just fine, there's nothing special required. You have bigger rear springs and a bigger rear axle than a regular half ton, that's about it. All the 1500 stuff will bolt right up. 2500 stuff will not.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 1500 lift kit will do you just fine, there's nothing special required. You have bigger rear springs and a bigger rear axle than a regular half ton, that's about it. All the 1500 stuff will bolt right up. 2500 stuff will not.

That's what I have always heard too. 6 lug is 6 lug, no matter what's on the doors.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 1/2 ton kit is what you want to buy. There are some differences between the 1500 and 2500 light duty trucks however the kit will still work. The 2500 8 lug kit won’t work.

I realized recently that my 2500 LD has a torsion bar cross member the same as the 8 lug 2500 HD for example. I went to a 1500 to pull
One to replace my bent one and realized the 1500 version was completely different than mine. You have bigger brakes on both ends, stiffer torsion bars, an extra rear leaf spring, 14 bolt rear end etc. compared to the 1500.

94BLU3

Reaction score
Thank you for the info! I was hoping to get away with a 3-4 inch lift to stay away from the torsion stuff if I can to keep it as simple as possible. I am very good at fabrication as I am a CNC Fabricator for a Semi shop, but do not know the geometry rules and what not of suspensions so I don't want to F*** anything up because my name legally changes to Murphy as soon as I start working on my truck..

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the only kit I could suggest for 3”:

At least it corrects some of the issues with just “cranking” the torsion keys as well as it lowers the diff to help the CV joint angles as well.

That being said no matter what you do to lift it it’s not much more work to install a full lift. The 4” kit is the same money and time to instal as the 6”, so you may as well step up to 6”.

The expensive part is normally replacing the balljoints, tierods and other parts that are normally worn out or will be soon after the lift if you don’t replace them ahead of the time.

So I suggest a 6.5” BDS or super lift, they are both much beefier than the Rough Country kits.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It depends on what parts the lift kit is comprised of. I'm not a lift kit guy, so bear with me here. All my experience with 2500LD's is in the 2WD variety, never lifted any, but have dropped one.

The ONE key difference in this case between a 1500 and a 2500 "light duty" is the rear axle. It's the 9.5" 14 bolt SF. It has larger axle tubes than a 1500's 8.5" 10 bolt. So if the kit has anything to do with replacing the u-bolt saddles, it will matter.

The spring pack is taller (has 1 extra leaf) and in the case of the 4x4 I *believe* the torsion bars are a little bit stiffer.

Richard

94BLU3

Reaction score
This is the only kit I could suggest for 3”:

At least it corrects some of the issues with just “cranking” the torsion keys as well as it lowers the diff to help the CV joint angles as well.

That being said no matter what you do to lift it it’s not much more work to install a full lift. The 4” kit is the same money and time to instal as the 6”, so you may as well step up to 6”.

The expensive part is normally replacing the balljoints, tierods and other parts that are normally worn out or will be soon after the lift if you don’t replace them ahead of the time.

So I suggest a 6.5” BDS or super lift, they are both much beefier than the Rough Country kits.
Thanks, I will definitely look into those! Especially if a 6" is the same installation and price, Great info.

94BLU3

Reaction score
It depends on what parts the lift kit is comprised of. I'm not a lift kit guy, so bear with me here. All my experience with 2500LD's is in the 2WD variety, never lifted any, but have dropped one.

The ONE key difference in this case between a 1500 and a 2500 "light duty" is the rear axle. It's the 9.5" 14 bolt SF. It has larger axle tubes than a 1500's 8.5" 10 bolt. So if the kit has anything to do with replacing the u-bolt saddles, it will matter.

The spring pack is taller (has 1 extra leaf) and in the case of the 4x4 I *believe* the torsion bars are a little bit stiffer.

Richard
I'll make sure to double check the saddles, thank you very much!