questions on DIY windshield removal/install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing my cracked windshield with one from a junkyard, I have some questions though.

After I glue the new window in, how does the black window trim go back on? I've never messed with the windshield trim before. Do you glue it back down? Do you use a roll of that 3M rubber windshield trim?

I noticed LMC carries the window trim. I just don't know if the originals can be reused.

Any other tips are appreciated. :)

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The trim is bonded onto the windshield. You buy a new windshield with that trim already on.

About DIY, this aint easy. The windshields are glued with urethane, you would have to cut it out, then cut yours out. Then glue the used one in place and make sure it sets right which is pretty critical to the structure of the cab. And then after all that you still have a used windshield.

This is one thing I would suck it up and just have a pro do it. I think I got a new one for around 150 installed. Just make sure you get an oem ppg type glass.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I agree. Something like this I would take it to an auto glass shop and have them do it rather than having to pay for mistakes later. My family has always been a do it yourself family...but you never have the right equipment for everything and sometimes it just is best to get it done by someone else. Imagine not doing it right and your windshield leaking terribly, or falling off.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. Something like this I would take it to an auto glass shop and have them do it rather than having to pay for mistakes later. My family has always been a do it yourself family...but you never have the right equipment for everything and sometimes it just is best to get it done by someone else. Imagine not doing it right and your windshield leaking terribly, or falling off.

Oh come on...... Slamming on the brakes for a red light and the windshield smashing on the hood would be funny to see but horrible for the owner

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
That would be funny.. :lol: I'm just picturing it now.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be funny.. :lol: I'm just picturing it now.

Same here:rofl:

But seriously for the windshield I would take it in and have the pros do it it's usually under $200 installed. Money well spent

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats better off left to the pros, it can be a pain to cut the old glue, you need to let the window sit for for a lil so it sets up right, this isn't something you wanna do wrong, if you have someone you know that has the tool to cut the glass out and knows how to do it id say go that route if not let the pros do it, just had mine done at the bodyshop was a lil under $200

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
remember if you have rust around the window most companies will NOT put a new windshield in, this happened to my dad when he wanted a company to put a windshield in his 72 olds cutlass a couple years back. i guess it is a liability for them

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
You can try... I'm friends with someone who owns a junkyard and 9 of 10 times the window breaks when try are trying to remove it. The glue is ridiculously tough. I'd just get it done at a shop, shouldn't pay anything over $200 for this type of windshield.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Well I'm going to see if I can pull one out at the junkyard in one piece. $35 for a windshield.

The frame doesn't look too bad on the sides, I should be able to get those with a razor knife easy. The top and bottom are going to be the tricky parts.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach