question for people who tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i know this is going to seem like a very amatuer question, but those people using efi live and other tuning programs, how are you connecting you computers to your obd2 ports? i saw on the internet that they have obd2 to USB cables, is that what people use?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, there is hardware that needs to go between the vehicle and computer its not just a OBDII conntecter to USB....at least for EFILive, you connect a OBDII connector to the vehicle which connects to the EFILive V2 module hardware, then a USB connector from the module to the computer. I'm pretty sure its similar for HPT and possibly Tunercats.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You're OBDII on a 97.

The cheap ALDL cables are pointless unless all you want to do is data log.

Each tuning software package has a cable that is proprietary to it.

EFILive has it's cable, tunercatII has it's own cable (it's what I use) and all the rest do as well.

Tunercat is about the most open one and the hardware can be sourced separately if you know what to look for. I can't say what due to licensing agreements. Even then, it requires a pretty secure password to activate the software. To add insult to injury, tunercatII is no longer available for sale as a stand alone purchase. It was sold to JET which mucked it all up.