Putting A Chip In A TBI Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teddy

Reaction score
I find the advantage for myself is that I can use the datalogging and the VE learn. So basically as I drive the learn tells me where I need corrections and makes for me. My ecm stays where it is and I don't have to pull it out to change a chip. I just have to flash in the new data, and I can do this while driving.
Hope this helps

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
What's the advantage to flash memory? Rewritable 27SF512 chips are only $5...and take about 1 sec to erase and maybe 10 to read/burn.

Not having to deal with burning chips. :read: Granted they still install like the old fashioned "chips," but have all the advantages of modern flash memory. Less cost, etc.

I find the advantage for myself is that I can use the datalogging and the VE learn. So basically as I drive the learn tells me where I need corrections and makes for me. My ecm stays where it is and I don't have to pull it out to change a chip. I just have to flash in the new data, and I can do this while driving.
Hope this helps

Really that's not much different than tuning a standard ECM with a wideband. Just takes a little more effort and knowledge to do.

4ofakind

Reaction score
How does one swap a TBI chip w/ Flash memory?
I want to rebuild my 95 350 to a 383 w/ a Auto-nomics throttle body.

You must be registered for see images

If I can get a reliable tune that passes smog Im sittin pretty.

Mal

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Why not just swap to an LSx engine? It'd run better and probably come out to around the same cost after building a 383 and getting it tuned.

4ofakind

Reaction score
Actually I feel better about putting the money I DO NOT have to spend on Elec. fans, O2 sensors, different radiator, motor mounts, wire harness, LSx rebuild (depending on quality when received), etc. into my actual motor and tune. I get a practically brand new motor w/ great low end torque and 0 miles for the price of a warmed over motor w/ at least 50k miles on it already and mediocre HP/TQ ratings. I can build a Gen I motor to 400HP/440TQ for the price of a 5.3/6.0 LS swap and still get the same MPG numbers. That said I WOULD rather deal w/ the motor already in my truck.

Anyone got anymore ideas to help me tune my TBI? EBL is out since I have a 95. I guess Im looking at a chip burn. Whats involved / are the details of a Flash Memory swap? Is that like using an Ostrich from Mates.net?

Thanks,

Mal

Last edited:

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Actually I feel better about putting the money I DO NOT have to spend on Elec. fans, O2 sensors, different radiator, motor mounts, wire harness, LSx rebuild (depending on quality when received), etc. into my actual motor and tune. I get a practically brand new motor w/ great low end torque and 0 miles for the price of a warmed over motor w/ at least 50k miles on it already and mediocre HP/TQ ratings. I can build a Gen I motor to 400HP/440TQ for the price of a 5.3/6.0 LS swap and still get the same MPG numbers. That said I WOULD rather deal w/ the motor already in my truck.

Anyone got anymore ideas to help me tune my TBI? EBL is out since I have a 95. I guess Im looking at a chip burn. Whats involved / are the details of a Flash Memory swap? Is that like using an Ostrich from Mates.net?

Thanks,

Mal

To be blunt, there's reason you don't see high HP TBI engines. It CAN be done, but at severe penalty of daily drivability and COST. The design of the system doesn't yield itself to producing it, simply put. Yes, you can build an engine that would support that goal, but the fuel injection system never will. A more realistic goal would be something in the 300hp range for TBI. That can be done without blowing a massive amount of money. (which BTW, and LSx swap can be done for less than $2K) The issue no one has been effectively able to overcome is fueling. With $0D coding I'm not aware of anyone that has cracked the async code that could in theory allow the engine to perform better at high rpm, while not running the injectors static and blowing your VE tables all to hell and back. So you're effectively limited to tuning within a very small box.

A flash memory swap is simply getting rid of the older style "chips" for flash memory modules. It doesn't allow you to flash via the OBD port, but is monumentally cheaper in the long run because you don't need chip burning equipment and unreliable chips that haven't been produced in a decade, at least.

4ofakind

Reaction score
A flash memory swap is simply getting rid of the older style "chips" for flash memory modules. It doesn't allow you to flash via the OBD port, but is monumentally cheaper in the long run because you don't need chip burning equipment and unreliable chips that haven't been produced in a decade, at least.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Mal

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
To be blunt, there's reason you don't see high HP TBI engines. It CAN be done, but at severe penalty of daily drivability and COST. The design of the system doesn't yield itself to producing it, simply put. Yes, you can build an engine that would support that goal, but the fuel injection system never will. A more realistic goal would be something in the 300hp range for TBI. That can be done without blowing a massive amount of money. (which BTW, and LSx swap can be done for less than $2K) The issue no one has been effectively able to overcome is fueling. With $0D coding I'm not aware of anyone that has cracked the async code that could in theory allow the engine to perform better at high rpm, while not running the injectors static and blowing your VE tables all to hell and back. So you're effectively limited to tuning within a very small box.

ignorance is bliss, isn't it? what exactly is it that holds back a Gen I engine's injection system?