'88 5.7 Super Chip superchip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a '88 5.7 K1500.

Today at the treasure yard I stumbled across an '88 C2500 5.7 and the ECU had a "Superchip" sticker on it. The chip in the ECU had a superchip sticker on it too. In the glove box the previous owner had saved the magazine ad for the ADS Super Chip stapled to the installation instructions. Original price was $51.95 in 1988!

The part number on the superchip is 78FJ5525YF

I can't find any specs or data for it online.

Is there any harm in trying it in my truck?

My ECU label says :
Serv. No. 1227747
860061 E180700340

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reach out to Superchips(Holley now) and see what they have to say.
I emailed Holley and here is their response:

Thank you for contacting SuperChips!

We do apologize, but there is no way for us to tell what is on the chip as any related equipment has been out of production for over 20 years.

If the product is not working as intended, we would suggest removing it.

I put the chip in and it is running fine. I don't really notice any difference but have only driven 20 miles or so on short trips. I'll check the fuel consumption when I refill the tank to see if I notice anything there.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I emailed Holley and here is their response:

Thank you for contacting SuperChips!

We do apologize, but there is no way for us to tell what is on the chip as any related equipment has been out of production for over 20 years.

If the product is not working as intended, we would suggest removing it.

I put the chip in and it is running fine. I don't really notice any difference but have only driven 20 miles or so on short trips. I'll check the fuel consumption when I refill the tank to see if I notice anything there.
It's probably ok. I don't recall seeing different part numbers in the ads for 1500 vs 2500's. Different motors ya, but if they are both 5.7s and the same year your probably safe.
I find it ridiculous that they couldn't match up part numbers to say if it would work. Silly.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably ok. I don't recall seeing different part numbers in the ads for 1500 vs 2500's. Different motors ya, but if they are both 5.7s and the same year your probably safe.
I find it ridiculous that they couldn't match up part numbers to say if it would work. Silly.
I've got the original ad and it is the same chip for 1500/2500/3500. The motor and tranny was the difference between the chips. I'll see if I can post a pic of the ad for posterity.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. Holley bought the trademark but probably not the intellectual rights. They could produce products using the trademark but had to put their goodies under the label.