88 K2500 random die but restarts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thered88

Reaction score
I got a 1988 K2500 with the original 5.7 and 700r4. before I describe my issue lemme give some context. In april of this year I bought this truck with 144k miles on it and it was super reliable until I saw that it was losing coolent out the exhaust. so in auguest (it had about 150k miles on it) I replaced the head gaskets, intake gaskets, and valve cover gaskets and once the job was done it started right up. A week goes by and its leaking oil from the back of the intake, so I take the intake off and replace the gasket and rtv. when completed, it would not start and it was doing a whole bunch of funky stuff with the lights. after a lot of testing (replaced starter and broke the knock sensor which was then replaced) and some smoke we found that the ground next to the battery was at fault so we cleaned and tightened all the major grounds in the engine bay and it drove great and had a lot of power. another week goes by and I found out that I suck at putting rtv on the motor for the intake and I have to pull the intake off again to fix the leak. after that was done it started right up and drove great. until I took a 40 min drive away from home and it just died. it was then towed to a shop where I worked on it a bit (replaced the icm which wasnt the issue). long story short i dont have the ac compressor installed and one of the wires that goes to the compressor was shorting on the block and blowin the ecm/ign fuse. It then ran great for a few days until my current issue. the truck has died randomly 3 times, 2 when sitting in traffic and once towing a empty trailer. its like you just turned the key off and everytime i try to start it without turning the key off it doesnt start but when i turn the key off and then back on and crank, it starts like nothing happened. I cant figure out why please help.

also the check engine light comes on every once in a while showing code 32 (egr). this has not been replaced as this light has been happening ever since i bought it. also also, it seems like the computer is changing the tuning a lot. when I first accelerate in the morning it kinda stubbles but clears up and has a lot of power and runs great for the rest of my 20 min trip. but when i come home in the afternoon it seems to lose a lot of power below 2500 rpm about half way through my trip. when this happens and you keep your foot in the same position but it revs past 2500, it has so much power that ur head falls back. finally I remember the previous owner saying that the fuel pump has been replaced and judging by the hole cut in the bed floor id say its true.

sorry for the novel i just wanted to give the whole story. if you have any ideas i would love to hear them

Russ B

Reaction score
Check fuel pressure. If possible run gage to windshield so you can watch it so if it cuts out you can see if you are losing pressure. Also change the fuel filter.

thered88

Reaction score
Check fuel pressure. If possible run gage to windshield so you can watch it so if it cuts out you can see if you are losing pressure. Also change the fuel filter.
The random dying issue hasnt happened since i wrote this post and the power loss went away soon after this message but has returned and I literally made a new post about it 15 minutes ago and that post has more updated info about the issue.

Jbaer

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a fuel problem somewhere. Should be running around 14 psi I think maybe try cleaning up the injectors some as well. Wouldn't hurt.