Project Ted, a 1993 RCSB 496 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The new rims will look great! The previous owner needs to be beaten for covering frame rot with caulk!
Yes he does, there was even more back where it was rotted under the cab, and a whole bunch by the spare tire crossmember, and a bunch shoved up in the lower radiator support.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Dropped the rear axles and drums off at a local machine shop this morning to get changed from 6 lug to 5 lug, should have them back by early next week, then I can get the whole thing reassembled!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Still no real actual progress on the body or the frame, waiting for the weather to really break, and this weekend is supposed to be cold :( I decided that due to the fact that I will be having a high hp engine with no vacuum at idle, I will need to do the hydroboost swap. I went to the junkyard today, and picked up a booster, an XJ steering shaft, and a Camaro door chime, and actually grabbed one from a Caprice wagon too, because I read somewhere that you can use that one as well, but I didn't know if it would sound different, so we'll find out! Also, there was a fresh 400 on the lot with a mint red headliner, scored everything for $28! Next step is to go back and get a GMT800 master cylinder for the setup, wasn't thinking about that at the time, but there are plenty to choose from. New hoses are already on the way!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
But I did get my Sidekick back out of the barn, finished the rear brake and 4.30 welded diff swap! Definitely felt an improvement over the stock 5.12 gears!
You must be registered for see images attach

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Finally got everything else off of the frame to get ready for sandblasting, went over and removed all old exhaust hangers and random screws, spare tire mount, front brake lines and hoses, rear shocks, gearbox, idler arm, and a few other random brackets to make cleaning easier. I also spent some time scraping off the built up grease and grime as well. Now, as soon as I have a day that is decent weather and I have nothing else going on, frame will be blasted!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Just had my new engine delivered, ended up getting a Gen V 496 long block, lots of goodies including aluminum heads. I figured out that it was cheaper to do it this way rather than have the bare block I had completely built up. I was so tempted to rip it out of the packaging but resisted so I can wait till my bolt ons show up so no dust or anything gets inside.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided to make an attempt at painting the rims myself. The first one, I spent a good 45 minutes using tape to mask just on the edge of the yellow stripe on the rim, on both sides. It was kind of a pain since the rim is curved, the tape didn't want to stick well. After getting that all done, I painted a stripe, then cleared over it. After drying, I peeled up the tape, and only about half of the paint stuck to the other stripe, and it also bled through the tape in some spots. :banghead: No biggie, it will come off with a little acetone. I took my chances and with my steady-ish hand, I used a little brush and went around two of the other rims by hand. I must say, it turned out better than I expected! You can see little flaws if you are a few inches away, but any more than 2 feet away, they look great! The stripes that came on them weren't perfect anyways, so that made me feel better. Two more and ill mount the tires up!

Last edited: