Pre-Trip Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Lug nuts = 90-110 ft. lbs. I like to do them in increments, because the SS wheels seem to be fussy about the torque on 'em.
80, then 95, then 110.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on range. If you have an inch/lbs. that stops at 120 that will get you 10 ft./lbs. meaning you can't do a while lot. But some vehicle parts do have torque specs set in inch/lbs so they aren't useless. But for the weekend warrior oil changing basic maintenance guy it's not necessary to have one.
Well the summit torque I posted has a low end of 120 in-lbs and high end of 960 in-lbs, so that's a low end of 10 ft-lbs and a high end of 80 ft-lbs.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well the summit torque I posted has a low end of 120 in-lbs and high end of 960 in-lbs, so that's a low end of 10 ft-lbs and a high end of 80 ft-lbs.

A foot pounds wrench will suit ya better IMO. Tie rod nuts ball joint nuts and lug nuts. I am a weekend warrior mechanic and then some. I've worked at a dealer and oil change place. I have never sought an inch pounds wrench. Just sayin.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'll hold off on the torque wrench until I can get to Harbor Freight. I have some coupons for them and I'll make the trip at a later date.
Bought a bottle jack from WalMart, both to have as my own jack, and to replace my emergency jack in the truck that got bent. Also picked up a grease gun since the savings would be marginal no matter where I go. I'm gonna go pick up the RP later tonight. Any suggestions as to where to go? I was gonna look at OReilly's and if their price is ridiculous, I'll just order it from Summit along with a set of jack stands.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Royal purple is stupid expensive. A quart of 80-90 for my truck was $22 a bottle. **** that ****. I bing'd AMSOIL local sales and found a rep 6 miles away. $10 a quart.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I've been looking around in regards to AMSoil vs RP. Seems they both perform to the same standard, and AMSoil is cheaper, but at the same time, AMSoil seems to be a bit of a know a guy that knows a guy kind of thing. RP is more readily available offline.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Only time I've ever needed a in.lb. wrench is to work on my bicycle.
But then, the bike's frame alone is worth more than my last square body Chevy & the complete bike, more than what originally I paid for my '97!
Bolts over torqued &/or twisted off in the frame is not an option.
I've never needed one to work on a vehicle.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
So, I've been looking around in regards to AMSoil vs RP. Seems they both perform to the same standard, and AMSoil is cheaper, but at the same time, AMSoil seems to be a bit of a know a guy that knows a guy kind of thing. RP is more readily available offline.

I don't know anyone. Just bing'd AMSOIL dealer in (insert mailing district). For me I did Wyoming Byron Center. Showed a guy 6 miles out. Address and phone number. Dialed and and said I was looking for 3 quarts of 80-90. Two hours later I had my gear oil a window sticker a catalog and a fridge magnet. The oil is all I had to pay for. Cool guy. I didn't know him from Adam. You don't have to know anyone.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know anyone. Just bing'd AMSOIL dealer in (insert mailing district). For me I did Wyoming Byron Center. Showed a guy 6 miles out. Address and phone number. Dialed and and said I was looking for 3 quarts of 80-90. Two hours later I had my gear oil a window sticker a catalog and a fridge magnet. The oil is all I had to pay for. Cool guy. I didn't know him from Adam. You don't have to know anyone.
But at the same time, you couldnt just roll up to a store and buy it...