Trip meter function?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since the trip meter works off of the odometer, is it safe to say that it works by getting a ground and the vss wire? Reason for asking is i want to retain a trip meter on my custom backplate. Any of the chinesium speedos do not retain trip past power off, (i got around this by making my own power kill switch to make the gage 100% hot even when vehicle off) then momentary button to reset essentially. However that isnt working out bc of the parasitic draw will kill battery as vehicle hardly ever driven.

My plan is to use the factory cluster, place my own backpanel over the top of all gages, and only leave cutout for trip meter. Then sauter the leads from odometer to aftermarket plug.

Unless anyone can give me other pointers of a trip meter ???

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Edit to add ; if i wassnt wanting to retain my current milage this would not be a problem. There are only a few companies that allow the odometer to be changed to current milage. But the ones that do either dont have a trip meter, are to higgh of speedo value (and read every 4mph) or the 7 color change wont match what I already have on the rest of gages

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you dig into the wiring diagrams yet? I honestly can't remember if there's a breakdown of the cluster circuit, but I wouldn't be shocked if there is one.

Richard

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On page 184 iirc, there is only one drawing that shows the vss wire to the speedometer. But i can’t find anything to the odometer. Unless its all built into one

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The speedo takes (39) ign & (824) vss.

Dont see anything for the odometer / trip tho

Attachments

• IMG_6731.jpeg
    IMG_6731.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 2

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
the odometer motor is powered by the same circuit board as the speedo, and will NOT work at all without that circuit board. You can remove the board and odometer/trip from the cluster and jerry-rig it to your custom cluster, but that's about the only option for the stock units.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the odometer motor is powered by the same circuit board as the speedo, and will NOT work at all without that circuit board. You can remove the board and odometer/trip from the cluster and jerry-rig it to your custom cluster, but that's about the only option for the stock units.
Thats kinda what I figured

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New one came in this afternoon.i judt finished matchi miles. Suprised tho this lighting is with backlight on. i dont find it to be very bright. And with only power on can barely read numbers.

on the other one (same model just diferent mph & its a 4 in 1) thois is how bright it is with only power on, no light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 0

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stand corrected. Lighting is good. Its just the odometer hard to read . Maybe once it gets in Truck it wont be

Attachments

• IMG_0705.png
    IMG_0705.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 0