1991 C 1500 odometer trip reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m new to the form, I have a 1990 Chevy Silverado, that I recently converted the dash cluster from the moon gauges over to the needle gauges with tack using a 1991 dash cluster With the help of some great information from Richard aka Someotherguy that I found on this form.
My question is everything in the dash works as it should other than the trip reset it keeps getting stuck.
When I start out, pressing it to go back to zero, it usually ends up at maybe 10 and then stops. Sometimes if I stop at a light, it will stop working when I stop at the light and would have to push it back to zero to get it to start working again to no avail as it will always stop again
So my question is where can I get a replacement for just the trip meter to put in a 91 tack cluster, or if there is a other year that would possibly fit like 92 to 94 if I could find a cluster for parts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John aka caminonut

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks you for that link, after looking through that, he replaced his 94 with a 91 trip set that has the slot.
That is what mine looks like with a slot driven by a spring we’re his does not have the slot and is driven by a plastic piece instead.
Now this makes me think I must have one from a 91 to fix mine, Unless both pieces from a 92 to 94 with a speedo and trip set together can be put into a 91 if the wire plug is the same.
been trying to find one for a 91 and so far I have not found any other than the set ups for the Moon gauges, which looks completely different.

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update on this cluster,
After being unable to find a trip set to straighten this cluster out.
I decided to sent it off to Southern Electronics in Richmond Virginia last week to have it repaired and have the mileage set to the correct mileage of my truck and repair the trip set plus have them install a seven pin DIP switch, which I sent to them with the cluster.
Got it back yesterday afternoon and will be switching out the one I got from Lee here on the site (THANKS LEE FOR THE HELP) to keep as a spare that is in good working condition and is all set up now to the correct dip switch settings to get my speedometer dialed in correct to only 1 mile slower off from my GPS
Will be installing my repaired cluster today to dial in the speedometer and see if everything is working the way it supposed to be and got a one-year warranty on it.

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, got my other 1991 dash cluster in that Southern Electronics repaired for me.
Got the speedometer dialed in correct using my GPS and the dip switch settings they installed on the circuitboard for me.

Here is the setting I’m using if anybody can use this if they also have a dip switch settings in their circuitboard for the 1988- 1991 Clusters.

I am running a 373 ring and pinion
P255/R60 15in. Tires.
dip switch settings set at 1-2-3-5-6 off 4-7 on.

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpeg
    IMG_1494.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 11

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, got my other 1991 dash cluster in that Southern Electronics repaired for me.

Thanks for that information! My odometer and trip meter don't work and I was thinking about looking for a company that can repair it.

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that information! My odometer and trip meter don't work and I was thinking about looking for a company that can repair it.
If they are both not working, that sounds like it could be the electric step motor That controls the odometer, which intern controls your trip meter Through a drive spring, connecting the two together.

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 8

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you start a separate post about this? Might help as jumping on someone else's can lead to confused responders as your symptoms aren't exactly the same. Not jumping on you for it just saying you can usually get better quality help with a fresh post. Be sure to include year/model/etc. any important details.

Richard

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they are both not working, that sounds like it could be the electric step motor That controls the odometer, which intern controls your trip meter Through a drive spring, connecting the two together.
Thanks for that! I may pull the gauges at some point and see how difficult that is to fix.
Did you start a separate post about this? Might help as jumping on someone else's can lead to confused responders as your symptoms aren't exactly the same. Not jumping on you for it just saying you can usually get better quality help with a fresh post. Be sure to include year/model/etc. any important details.
I'm pretty sure I did not start a new post on this, yet. I was just thanking caminonut for posting that information, as sending out the instrument cluster was on my mind at the time. If the issue goes beyond what has already been posted, and I want to try to fix it myself, then I will start a new post. Thank you! :)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that! I may pull the gauges at some point and see how difficult that is to fix.

I'm pretty sure I did not start a new post on this, yet. I was just thanking caminonut for posting that information, as sending out the instrument cluster was on my mind at the time. If the issue goes beyond what has already been posted, and I want to try to fix it myself, then I will start a new post. Thank you! :)
Just sayin' start a new post with all the info.. the problem may or may not be in the cluster. Hate to see you send it out for repair and spend time/money without resolution.

Richard