Possible new 1999 Suburban Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys my name is Eric.

I am looking at a 1999 Chevy Suburban at a local dealership.

http://www.backwoodsauto.com/1999_Chevrolet_Suburban_219258202.veh

I took it for a short drive on Thursday and I am going back for a closer look tomorrow. The truck is priced right for my budget but there are so obvious things I noticed from short drive. This is a dealership who turns over a lot of vehicles. They buy them at auctions and turn them over fast. They don't fix the little things that a larger dealership would. There where even cigarettes in the ashtray. So ya...

The bad
- Tires, I would probably replace them right away. One of the rear tires was significantly low.
- "AC Not Tested", It's winter so it's hard to know. But I would assume it does not work.
- Rear gate doors will not open. When I pulled the handle it felt like the door was locked. The mechanism felt firm as if it was not broken. The Unlock and Gate Buttons on the FOB don't work. The Lock button works fine. I am not sure if the issues are related.
- There is a check engine light on. I will pull and reset the code tomorrow with my HPTs cable.
- The brakes are soft and twice it made an audible clunk sound like how ABS can sound while it is engaging and disengaging. I was on a slippery surface but the noise seemed louder then what I expected.
- Front Drivers seat had more wear then I would expect with the number of miles on the truck. 102k It must have been a big dude.
- There is some slight damage to the drivers side. No biggy for me.
- Steering wheel is offset a couple of inches to one side and the truck drifts slightly. I am going to bring a tire gauge and make sure all the tires are properly inflated. But I assume the alignment if off based on the small damage to the side of the truck.
- There are spots of rust around the body but less then what I would expect for a vehicle of this age from this region. I didn't notice if any rusted all the way through.

The Good
- 102k Miles. The engine bay was very clean. All engine fluids appeared normal.
- Leather Heated Seats :)

I plan on using this truck to pull my boat and camping. It will not be driven everyday. Right now, I use a 98 F150 XLT 5.4L Single Cab. It's been a great truck but I need something that can hold more passengers. Plus I am a GM guy! I have been in love with the GMT400 OBS? since I can remember. The NBS just doesn't do it for me. And what's there not to love about a Vortec 350?

I have been looking for Suburban/Yukon for the last few months. At a larger dealership and without the problems listed above, this truck would list for double the price.

If anyone has some advise for the problems listed above I would appreciate it. I am also going to cycle through the 2wd/4wd options tomorrow.

If this Suburban is not the one, I am going to keep looking.

Thanks!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Price actually seems reasonable for what it is.

If you can do your own work, I would budget 500 for a brake job, couple hundred for DTC repair and tires into your assessment. Maybe another 300-400 for front end parts and an alignment.

If it all comes out cheaper, bonus. If it costs you that much to repair the small niggles, at least you planned on it.

How big is your boat?

Might want to look at the tow rating and GVWR on that particular truck if you plan on loading it up before you pull the trigger on purchase.

carnutdallas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pass!!!! Seriously, pass! They paid less than $2k at auction. They know nothing about the truck. I know budget may be an issue, but I see money pit. #1 and a big #1 is only buy a K2500. You have to have the big tranny for towing. You have too!! The 4L60E is just too small and suffers from the weight of the Sub plus the towed vehicle. I have owned over 10+ Suburbans and will only own a 2500 after putting a tranny in every 1/2 Chevy I have ever owned. #2 the steering is probably worn out and the a/c probably needs a full replacement. Why would a decent low mileage Suburban be at auction? They aren't, only junk is. I am a dealer and have not gone to auction in 6 years. I "fish" on CL looking for 1-2 owner vehicles that have one need. Basically rule of thumb is 3 things in a vehicle: interior, exterior and mechanical. Has to have 2 of the 3 to buy. This vehicle has none based on your description. Body issue on drivers side, mechanical issues and some interior wear.

I paid $3900 for my K2500 Sub. See my thread. It had 104k and tons of receipts, plus only 2 owners. I could have done nothing to it and just driven it. But I have a shop and can throw dumb money at it because I am particular and want uniqueness. I write it all off and I like the GMT400, hence why I am here and have two 400's.

I say keep looking. Spend $4-5k and buy a nicer rig with beefier mechanicals. Trust me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Price actually seems reasonable for what it is.

If you can do your own work, I would budget 500 for a brake job, couple hundred for DTC repair and tires into your assessment. Maybe another 300-400 for front end parts and an alignment.

If it all comes out cheaper, bonus. If it costs you that much to repair the small niggles, at least you planned on it.

That is what I was thinking. I know I am going to need to put some money into to get it up to *****. I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game to avoid the typical "I bought this vehicle and now what do I do with it?" thread.

How big is your boat?

Might want to look at the tow rating and GVWR on that particular truck if you plan on loading it up before you pull the trigger on purchase.

19.5' 1992 Thompson. With the trailer, it weights right around 2500#. 25 gallons of gas adds another 150#. I am not sure what the tongue weight is. Towing rating says Standard Towing is 5500 and Max Towing is 6500. This Suburban weights around 5800#?

My boat also has a Chevy small block. :)

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pass!!!! Seriously, pass!

I paid $3900 for my K2500 Sub. See my thread. It had 104k and tons of receipts, plus only 2 owners. I could have done nothing to it and just driven it. But I have a shop and can throw dumb money at it because I am particular and want uniqueness. I write it all off and I like the GMT400, hence why I am here and have two 400's.

I say keep looking. Spend $4-5k and buy a nicer rig with beefier mechanicals. Trust me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advise. I wish I could find something like you snagged. I am not sure if it is my area or what? There are a few other options around but not even close price wise. This is what I have been finding.

http://www.broadwayautomotive.com/vehicle-details/1996-chevrolet-suburban--green-bay-wi-id-5660923

$7k for a 96' 1500.

I would love a 2500.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. I know I am going to need to put some money into to get it up to *****. I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game to avoid the typical "I bought this vehicle and now what do I do with it?" thread.

19.5' 1992 Thompson. With the trailer, it weights right around 2500#. 25 gallons of gas adds another 150#. I am not sure what the tongue weight is. Towing rating says Standard Towing is 5500 and Max Towing is 6500. This Suburban weights around 5800#?

My boat also has a Chevy small block. :)

That seems awful light for a 20 foot boat and trailer.

Are you sure it's that light?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
There are a few other options out there on Craigslist. I still got some learning to do.

If you only plan summer towing, I would suggest a "C" model for several reasons.

It will get slightly better fuel mileage, have a slightly higher GVWR and should be cheaper to buy in to.

2WD suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons don't seem to be as common but you might be able to find a decent Crew cab in 2WD at a reasonable price. Lots of work truck CC's out there if you don't mind something a bit more "base" to haul the boat back and forth to the lake. The more base it is, the cheaper it will be to buy in as well.

Slippery boat ramps can often be a bummer with a 2wd though....