Play In Rear Axle Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't hear any noise at the bearings or feel anything unusual. What do you think the best test for them would be? Just take the drum off and spin it right? I thought these factory bearings were pretty robust, even more so than the front ones (had to replace those recently, but they lasted 30 years).

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no bearings in the axle that are intended to affect axle-shaft end-play. The outer bearings affect load-carrying, but not end play. The outer bearings could cause seal leakage, but probably not without damage to the axle shafts also. The differential bearings could theoretically affect end play, but they'd have to be so utterly wiped-out that you'd have differential noise/gear mesh/clunking or outright failure before you'd notice problems with axle shaft end-play.

You'll know more when the axle shafts come out. Look for scoring/pitting where the seal rides, and scoring/pitting/grooves where the bearing rollers ride.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Copy, will do. Yeah, I believe I read another post by you Schurkey where you said the OEM wheel bearings in the rear are very robust. Isn't that right? I'm used to front bearings going bad, but have never had to replace rear end bearings, not even on my muscle cars.

I will look for the scoring and pitting. I wouldn't be surprised if it's happening. Was thinking of Yukon replacements. What do you guys think of that brand? They seem good.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't installed a rear axle shaft bearing in so long I hardly remember how to do it. OTOH, on the Chevy axles, when the bearing goes, it generally destroys the axle shaft in the process. Other axle designs use a more-expensive bearing that has a distinct inner race, so the shaft isn't designed as a wearable item.

Of course, there's always the full-floating design, where the axle shaft doesn't support any load, just transfers torque. The wheel bearings in the hub are relatively huge, but then so are the loads they're designed to carry.