Play In Rear Axle Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thechevyman95

Reaction score
About 8 months ago, I noticed a little of in and out play in my rear passenger side axle shaft. It has just enough play to blow the axle seal allowing gear oil into the brake drum, ultimately making my rear brakes stick. The left (Driver) side doesnt have as much play and doesn't break seals. Where should I begin with this? Ive replaced the seal once and in about 4 months it blew. A few people have told me to try some new axle shafts, others say my whole rear end is toast. Thanks for the help!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pull the gear cover and take a look at the C clips that hold the axel shafts in place. There should be some play in the shafts, but I can imagine the C clips being in place and the axel shafts being able to move in and out enough to make the seal leak. There are some good videos on youtube that show how to pull your axel shafts.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the c-clips... Some play is normal but you may need to replace the c-clips and/or axleshafts

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any update on this? Happening to me too dang it.
Given that the thread was started 10 years back....
Which axle do you have? Does it have the G80 locker?
A bit of clutch wear in a G80 creates play. Mine has it. Nothing on the drivers side but just under 1mm on passenger side. I monitor it and it hasn't worsened. I have a thread on this somewhere on this forum (2022).

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah same rear end. Well, I guess I'll just do thatm I have to take the shafts out to replace the seals, should I bother changing out the c clips?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah same rear end.
WHICH rear end? If this is a 10-bolt in a typical 1500, you should start looking for a better axle assembly.

I have to take the shafts out to replace the seals, should I bother changing out the c clips?
Only if they're worn. Same with the cross-pin. Sometimes they wear where the axle shaft bumps against the pin. If the pin is worn, it needs to go, too.

But as said--the G80 has clutch packs, when the clutches wear, axle end-play increases. The fix for that is new clutches, or replace the entire differential. And if this is a typical 10-bolt, they're not worth putting money into. Get a "14-bolt" semi-float from a light-duty 2500 of the same gear ratio, and same width (2WD donor for a 2WD, 4WD donor for a 4WD.) You'll need a conversion U-joint, and four U-bolts, plus the U-bolt plates that come with the upgraded axle.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey schurkey, it's a 14 bolt, 9.5 g80. I need to replace the seals anyway, maybe I should just pick up some clips and a pin.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey schurkey, it's a 14 bolt, 9.5 g80. I need to replace the seals anyway, maybe I should just pick up some clips and a pin.
That's the same axle I have. I replaced the clips and pin and it made no difference (mileage < 50,000). Given you disturb them to work at the outer ends of the axle, replacing them wouldn't hurt. There are two different cross-pins listed for this axle and they have slightly different lengths. If you get the long one (as I did) it may need trimming to avoid fouling. It's retaining bolt is also required and not unknown apparently for them to break during removal.

As per above post - wheel bearings need some scrutiny. Unless something within the pumpkin has suddenly created the play as I'd expect the gradual increase in play to be absorbed by the seal. Radial motion will test it though.