Penetrating oil test.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if this has already been posted this but this is good info. :hmm:
Be good! Roland.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results!

*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ............. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench .. 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.*

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting results, however I don't know how you could 'scientifically' rust something. sounds like the study control has quite a bit of variables in it.

but all in all some interesting info, do you have a link to the study at all?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
interesting results, however I don't know how you could 'scientifically' rust something. sounds like the study control has quite a bit of variables in it

:word: But This has been ****** around the internet so many times I doubt anyone actually knows its true origins, I've seen this on airboat sites, GMFS, and even a bowfishing site a time or two.

I use Kroil religiously and the only penetrating oil I use anymore, if I know I have to break a part down the next day I spray my **** down, then the next day an hour before tear down I spray it again. The oil will climb itself and creeps so much better than Blaster or WD40. The problem with the acetone/atf mix lies in storing it, most of us would put it in a plastic reusable squirt bottle, but with in a few hours the acetone eats the plastic bottle up and leaks out.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a few quarts of used atf and some new, I'm gonna make me some home brew with acetone, just have to go buy some.

I know my dad always said atf and kerosene makes for a good degreaser.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i should mix some of that up. i got a lot of atf laying around and my dad works at a chemical plant so he can get the acetone by the gallon for free

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I read on the Gearz website that Tabasco sauce works good. Sure enough, it works awesome. I used it to remove my header bolts when I rebuilt my engine and it worked like a charm. I think it has to do with the acid in the sauce.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Hmm looks like I'll be picking up a bottle of Liquid Wrench instead of PB Blaster tomorrow...

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use ZEP45 its great stuff!! I put some on my fuel filter the day before I removed it and about an hour before I removed it and it came off pretty easy! I never thought in a million years it would break loose on a 95 sierra from Minnesota with 170,000 miles on it!!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach