Passlock unplugged now won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlop

Reaction score
I have a 98 c1500. I was having issues with passlock, I saw a video where if you can start it, you unplug the passlock while it's running and it will work without it after that. It did solve the issue, until I parked the pickup for 10 months, the battery was almost dead and now it won't start. Tried plugging passlock back in, but the security light has not turned on at all, so trying the relearn process has not helped. It is doing the usual start and stalls right away. Has anyone had the issue of security light not on and still not starting.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The method of "disabling" PassLock that's described in that video will result in failure to start like you've described if the battery is disconnected or goes dead. The only way to really disable PassLock is to turn it off in the tune.

Not sure what's up with the security light staying off even after you plugged the intermittent PassLock module back in though. Maybe it failed completely in the 10 months that you didn't use the truck? Are you sure the bulb in the security light is good?