Keys, locks, ignition switch solutions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
So my 1999 Suburban has a lot of key related issues. All three of the door locks (driver, passenger, and rear) are in need of replacement. The keyless remote won't accept programming anymore on new keyfobs (I know the procedure). The ignition switch is starting to show signs of failure (have to jiggle it to get it to turn). And, several of the door handles are broken internally and about to come off completely.

So needless to say I need to fix most of this. I'm OK buying aftermarket handles and locks but I really don't want my ignition keyed differently, so I'm not sure the most cost effective route to go here. I called a local locksmith and he told me my only option was to order the handles/locks from the dealer by Vin#, and the dealer said I had to bring them the truck to do it. I'm going to end up driving all over hell and half of Georgia and spend a mint trying to go that route.

So how can I get aftermarket parts all keyed the same way?

Or, how can I perhaps just set up a keyless start button? Can anyone make a suggestion here? I'd need this button/switch to be somewhat hidden or otherwise disabled while it's parked. I do a lot of fishing at some sketchy boat ramps as it is. I've been fortunate to not be hit yet, but I definitely don't want a bigass "Engine Start" button on the dash board just inviting problems.

Fwiw, I've never had a problem on this truck with the Passlock system. Not even once. I notice that the Security light on the dash does odd stuff. Sometimes it's lit, sometimes it's off, sometimes it's flashing. So maybe the previous owner did something that overrides it, I don't know.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You can get just lock cylinders and an ignition cylinder with matching keys. I got mine either on eBay or Amazon. The lock cylinders are separate from the door handles, so you can replace each individually. I don't remember but off the top of my head I think it was around $50 for a two-door lock and ignition cylinder set with keys. And I just replaced them myself.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I'm struggling to find them on Amazon, I'll check Ebay soon. I can find them for 1995-1997 but I think those are a different style than a 99

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
True, I don't think they're compatible.

This one will get your front doors and ignition under control.

Or for all three doors.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can remove the door handle, then remove the lock cylinder, open it and switch the pins to match the key. That's how fixed the Tahoe driver door.