Ignition key warning buzzer switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spidder8

Reaction score
Do I need the ignition key switch thing because when replacing the ignition switch I broke it and don’t really want to spend 40 bucks on the lil thing. So I was wondering if I could just put it all back together without worrying about it

PhilArrants

Reaction score
Hello, all. I’m new to this forum so please forgive me if I violate etiquette or rules by introducing a new but related question into an existing thread. I just replaced the ignition lock cylinder on my 1994 C1500 automatic transmission tilt wheel. Everything went smoothly. Nothing was broken nor did I break anything in the guts of the column. The horn wire would not insert and turn (because my fingers don’t work as well as they used to) so I left it disconnected. The new cylinder from Advance Auto works like it should except most times when I shut the vehicle off, remove the key, and open the door the “key in ignition” buzzer goes off. If I switch the truck back on and move the steering wheel to a slightly different position the buzzer will go off. Any help is much appreciated.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I’m new to this forum so please forgive me if I violate etiquette or rules by introducing a new but related question into an existing thread. I just replaced the ignition lock cylinder on my 1994 C1500 automatic transmission tilt wheel. Everything went smoothly. Nothing was broken nor did I break anything in the guts of the column. The horn wire would not insert and turn (because my fingers don’t work as well as they used to) so I left it disconnected. The new cylinder from Advance Auto works like it should except most times when I shut the vehicle off, remove the key, and open the door the “key in ignition” buzzer goes off. If I switch the truck back on and move the steering wheel to a slightly different position the buzzer will go off. Any help is much appreciated.
Sounds like you may have a spot in the buzzer wire where the insulation is rubbed off and gets grounded with the column in a certain position.
I personally toss those key buzzer switches in the trash. It's annoying to me to have the radio on and that buzzer going off with the door open.