Paperweight Rebuild REV03

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Pressure washed.

Painted and motor mounts installed.

TAC module in place of cruise control as Mr. Howerton brought ot my attention.

One of two fuel rail adapter fittings installed. The other has the right male adapter for 3/8", but the backing nut is for 5/16". Clamping it in a mill today to fix that.

Exhaust is alo now missing and chopped into little peices in the backyard, Brandi's truck has new brakes and Jetta has new brakes.

Trying to finish the pump and accesory bracket this week to have the motor and maybe the tranny in this weekend, provided I get the shift kit done on the spare valve body.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got a new ferule and put the fuel hoses on as they are easy access.

Got the motor off the engine stand and put on the LQ4/80e flexplate with spacer on.

Had to screw around getting it in from the side. Even the small front hoop prevents the hoist from getting close enough. I had to try and hold it forward and at 90* to where it would naturally hang as I tried to slowly lower it in.

The dog was very helpful.

As it sits.

Driver exhaust manifold is off as the bent stud proved to be a royal pita. Hoping to score another as the stockers look to be a good fit. Long tubes would probably hit the link mounts.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to get something done last night I went to mockup the PS cooler. Realized I had left the washer reservoir in the truck which doesn't help much being without a nozzle set. After reomving that I starting getting ideas.

Ideas lead to holes.

Still need a few more, some better edge cleanup (half round file on sheetmetal late at night is bad for neighbor relations) and of course to build a framework to hold the cooler.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One step forward, two back.

After much frusteration and working the ratchet straps, I managed to get the motore bolted in after pulling it out to reorient the motor mounts (damned Energy supension putting tabs on the molded blocks). Both bolts in and the motor is where she needs to be.

Unfortunately as I tried to put the motor in at full bump, it doesn't fit. You can see where the pan and passenger upper link mount made contact. I had to lift the truck off the bumps to get the motor to fit fully.

The offset of the drivetrain hosed me. I had enough clearance with the L31, but the low hanging block and blocky pan are forcing me to mod the truss.

Backwards we go.

Plan is to remove the passenger link bracket, clearance the pumpkin support and burn a new one on 2.5" over. I'll also move the truss notch over to match for an extra .5" of clearance to account for the frame rails twisting on impacting the bumpstops.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Don't you just hate it when that happens? She'll get there eventually, and it still looks good regardless :waytogo:

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got home last night to this.

In short order with the plasma, cutoffdisc and sawzall was left with this hacked up shell.

After cutting a peice of box tube to fit, reforming some of the plates and welding on the plate I had to remove to get to the vertical support I was left with this.

I need to make a couple of plate caps, clean up the bracket I cut off and burn it back on moved over and I need to cut the and rotate the ram truss tube I cut off to reroute it to the new upper link mount position, then it's ready to go back in.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between the dog trying to off himself and the ensuing recovery mixed with a wedding that absorbed Saturday in its entirety I'm not much farther along.

Axle is ready to be tossed back in.

Note the lack of symmetry of the ram truss tubes displaying the amount the right link mount moved over.

Still have to finish the accesory bracket and bolt up the alternator to see, but the engine crossover tube might bolt right up.

Replacement manifold is thread on as well, thanks PacFab!

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some little stuff gets done during the week.

The steam port needs to be sorted. Stock plastic tanked radiator obviously doesn't have a port for it, so it will need to be routed to either the LP of the water pump or inline with the radiator hose. In any case, I hate barb/clamp fittings. To adapt to something else I took the crossover coolant manifold and snipped it.

Bandsaw at home still isn't running. It's nice to have a small toolroom of manual machines and most importantly here, a bandsaw, that they let us play in at work hacking up the nice stuff our real machine shop sends us:crazy:

Toss the thing in the mill, drill, tap, chamfer. Simple stuff, but it's progress.

This next update is something that I thought about for a bit. I ordered a bracket to mount the pump, when it came it in it became apparent that the pump they use has a slightly different bolt pattern.

So the dilemma was, is two bolts enough, should I fix it. Knowing I would think about it all the time even if it worked fine, I just fixed it.

I cut a 1/4" tube cap from the tab pile in half, chamfered both weld edges on both parts. Then I took off alot of the zinc on the bracket so I wasn't sick later. I made 4 total passes on each side to fill to convex as I had chamfered about .100. Running ~90a, 1/16 thoriated W with 1/16 ER70 filler.

Hit the welds with a flap disc, drilled/chamfered my new hole and filed the edges back a little. Could have fill the hole, but it's really not neccesary.