Paint ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody know a good, relatively cheap way to paint my truck, that turns out pretty well?
(Sorry, thats my best pic atm)
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you call cheap and how long do you want it to last? If you want instant shine cheap do a Maaco basic paint , but keep in mind if down the road you want to do it right you will need to strip first. If you wantto do it yourself and have little experience I would go base coat clearcoat as it is more forgiving to novice painters. You can lay the color on easier and runs and dry spots can be sanded and buffed out.
What color are you thinking?

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im thinking maybe black. I understand that any extra care has to be taken with black when doing body work. That doesn't really scare me. I just need ideas because I have to spray it outside, and what is decently priced, plus how much would I need to do the whole outside and the jambs?

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Black covers good so I would figure on a half gallon of base if doing two stage or a gallon of single stage. You will need to paint on a dry day without wind and paint early enough before the bugs come out. Middle of the day.
Keep in mind where your overspray is going if painting outside or you may be buffing all the other cars in the area.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't be intimidated by black though as it is easy to spray and when shined up it looks great even with flaws that show up close. Yes it will magnify wavy body work but when polished only people that no body work will notice. If doing a show car black is a pain but for a daily driver not so much. I actually find white one of the toughest to spray as in a well lit area you can barely see what you are doing with white. Kind of a white out effect.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havn't used that but it looks like it would work fine. Painting outside will have some things to consider. If in the sun it will dry to fast to not have over spray on panels already sprayed. temperature will have a lot to do with how it will lay down. The clears they show don't use reducer,reducer is one of the ways I can control drying times as it comes in fast,medium or slow depending on conditions. When ordering see if they have different speed activators to control dry time and tell them what temp conditions you plan to paint in. Goes without saying that humid days are not good.

Reaction score
PPG or DEFT polyurethane topcoat low IR gunship variation mil-prf-85285. Primed with mil-prf-23377.
You must be registered for see images