P1345 code....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 K1500, 5.7, 4L60E 275K

Two years ago I installed a Holley aluminum timing cover. It doesn't leak a drop.
But.....apparently the cover was slightly out of spec and I got the P1345 code. Ultimately shimmed out the crank sensor with shims from EFI Connection and that stopped the code.

In the past year the truck has three times threw the P1345 code, cleared the codes and it doesn't come back for 2k-4k miles. Threw the code this afternoon, cleared it, drove another 10 miles and it hasn't come back on.

My question is, how can I test the ICM and crank sensors to figure if one or the other is bad (or good)?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you suspect the crank sensor?

My first thought would be to turn the distributor--adjust the "offset" to +/- 2 degrees at 1100 rpm.

A modern scan tool should have a graphing feature; look at the waveforms for the two sensors. I'm thinking both will be square-waves, not sine waves or some other waveform. The height of the wave indicates voltage generated. Or use an AC voltmeter to verify signal strength--not as nice as a graph, but perhaps useful anyway.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HI Shurkey!
I just knew you were gonna suggest one of the those million dollar Snap On scanners......id' probably take me two years just to figure out how to turn it on......
I suspect the crank sensor because the code suggests the crank or cam sensor, and as I mentioned the Holley timing cover I installed required that I shim out the crank sensor.
The distributor and ICM are original, the cram sensor is AC Delco Pro. The crank sensor is either Bosch or Delphi.
I don't think my Bosch dongle has graphing.
What should the proper volt strength be on my voltmeter?

I'll check the timing today.
My concern is at 275k the crank might be moving around some, I've heard of that happening. I can go thousands of miles before it'll throw the P1345 code, so it's kind've random at this point.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That code is more for the synchronization of the two sensor signals than for signal strength per se. If the signal strength is too low, I suppose the computer would say that the signals aren't synchronized, but I'd expect other codes as well.

What is the cam sensor offset as-is?