Opinions or suggestions on this idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I've been photoshopping up an idea(not the best photoshop in the world, but squint a little and you can imagine) and now I'm soliciting opinions. I'm thinking of sem bumper coater black on the flares, valence, bumpers and everything from the line in the body down.

I'm not sure what I'll do about the body moldings, get rid of them or maybe find some smooth molding and paint it the same black. Maybe make the front bumper a home made smoothie or do the same smooth molding I find for the body if I go that route. Maybe a different model rear bumper done with the bumper coater black also(I've seen some pics of newer rear bumpers on obs trucks that look good to me).

So, any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally like the look. I put a diesel bumper on my Sub. I dipped it black before I put it on and left the lower valence off. I also had a chrome grille so I got rid of that about the same time by dipping it black as well. 2 reasons I used dip instead of paint, 1. in case I didn't like it, and 2. it was easier than sanding it down. I was being a little lazy. I also have the stainless trim around the wheel wells and recently did that in the same black. Anyway, I think it turned out pretty good. I'm still undecided on the rubber molding, but I've been thinking about doing the same thing as you. Just so happens to be the same color too.

I put a couple pics of the front end in my build thread. Here's a link http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?28017-rosco-s-quot-Beast-quot

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO dont get anything metal dipped waste of money get the bumper sand blasted enough to remove the chrome and get it powder coated way better finish and will last 100times longer good Idea tho should look nice

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Thanks for the link rosco. Helps seeing another green burb with something similar.

CodeRed26, I love powdercoat, but I want it to have a clad look all around the bottom, so the bumper can't be a different finish. I might have to go be a pest at the paint store and make them demo some stuff for me. -They're buddies, and I think one of them has done something similar on his pathfinder, so I may just be able to look at his coating. Hopefully.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I photoshopped a different angle. I haven't added running boards yet, but I think I like it. I've also found some trim profiles I like. But still not sure if that's the route I'll go.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I photoshopped a different angle. I haven't added running boards yet, but I think I like it. I've also found some trim profiles I like. But still not sure if that's the route I'll go.

Hmmm would black rims be to much?

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I tried how it'd look with black wheels. It looked tough, but maybe a little too tough. I'm trying to keep it sort of respectable looking.

roughead

Reaction score
Well in my option it looks good, but in the end of the day its still your decision. Powder coating may be expensive but very much worth it.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like it, it reminds me of the Sport package that went on the 2-door Tahoes.

Last edited:

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I like the look of it, but I think spraying it in a gun metal or charcoal would look better than black with the green. Using Black spray liner to create a 2 tone looks.........cheap, I guess that's the best way to put it. Doing it in a slightly off color would give it a sharper look. More of a limited edition look. Hard to explain...