"Old Red" 1994 K1500 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94OldRed

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I'm brand new to the site and would like to show everyone what I've been working on for the past 2 years.

First of all I've been a big fan of the GMT400 ever since I was a kid. The particular truck I've been working on has been in the family since 1994, when my dad bought it from his friend, who bought it from the dealer and drove it for 400 miles before letting it go.

When I started the project it had been driven by pretty much everyone in the family. She had 204k miles on her and the motor had plenty of life left in it, but it was definitely starting wear down. so the first order of business was to get the drive train back up to par.

You must be registered for see images attach

After tearing the motor all down we sent it to a family friend who owns a local machine shop. There it was bored and honed, crankshaft was ground, heads received a valve job, all new internals including: comp cam/lifters/rocker arms, new push rods, new valve springs, new pistons, along with other goodies. The trans was sent to another family friend for a complete rebuild. He knocked it out in a weekend so sadly, no pictures.

Just about put back together. New parts include: Edelbrock intake manifold, cfmtech TB, GM valve covers, and Flowtech headers.

Back in her home. I had wires running everywhere for a failed E-Fan setup. Just ended up going back to the mechanical fan, for now.

Everything turned out great on the motor. It pulls hard and shifts great. She's ready for another 200k miles now!

I drove the truck for right around a year on the fresh motor, at that point it was time to start in on the paint. The original red was fading bad from being parked outside in the Arizona sun for pretty much all its life. So came the fun part of sanding the whole truck. The body was actually in really good shape. There were very few dents so there is very little bondo on the truck. After many nights behind the DA she was primed and one step closer to some color.

After one final wet sand it was off to the booth to get some color. It helps when your dad has been an auto body painter for 25 years.

And here's how she sits today. fresh motor and fresh paint. I've had such a good time working on this with my dad. I have so many memories in this truck so I'm happy that it's rebuilt and being kept in the family. There's still a ton of stuff I want to do to it, but I'm very pleased with were it's at right now.

Thanks for checking out my project!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good looking truck! Its not often that you see a roll pan and sport mirrors (before paint) in a 4x4.

94OldRed

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've updated the thread. I've got a couple more projects done since the weather cooled down here in AZ.

First thing I did was change out my shocks. I ordered 4 new Rancho RS9000XL's and man did it make a difference! My old shocks were basically non existent and it was riding rough. After that I had to tackle the steering. My steering was getting a little sloppy and I figured the rag joint was worn out in the old steering shaft. A trip to my local pick a part and $20 later, I had a 94 jeep xj steering shaft swapped into the truck. That tightened up the steering leaps and bounds over what it was before. I need to get some pics of the swap, could of swore I took some.

Next I swapped the valve covers from the chrome ones I had on before to these black ones. Partially to match the next piece I had planned to bolt on next :evillol:

And there it is, my latest addition! I bought a whipple supercharger kit here locally and sent it out and got it rebuilt. The installation went fairly smooth, minus the thermostat housing issue I had that I don't even want to bring up :banghead:. I have a couple more things to button up, mainly trimming that fuse cover box and getting it re mounted and maybe re routing a couple vacuum lines. Otherwise I'm very happy with the install. It really woke the motor up! I mean it was running nice before...but now I can see why people love boost! That and the supercharger whine just sounds so nice. Time to cross that off and move down the list!

Case182

Reaction score
Holy cow! Super clean build. I love it. If love to have a 400 this clean one day.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Wow amazing build man! Keep us updated