oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lighter weight oil is what you want. 5w30. You asked if you could run Rotella, the answer is yes, I ran it in my truck. I live in south Louisiana and it is hot here.(70+ today) It get into the high 90s in the summer, and I'm sure that was a factor in the sludge built up that happened to me. If the lifters are tapping (valve click) a thinner oil will help some (5w30) If the ring are letting oil by and then engine is burning it off then a thicker oil is needed to help stop this. I know that Havoline is good oil. As far as the synthetic oils, there are very good, LOL except Castrol, I have seen this first hand, the sludge issue again. Like I said, maybe it is because of where I live, and all the heat.

I live in houma Louisiana lol.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
A lighter weight oil is what you want. 5w30. You asked if you could run Rotella, the answer is yes, I ran it in my truck. I live in south Louisiana and it is hot here.(70+ today) It get into the high 90s in the summer, and I'm sure that was a factor in the sludge built up that happened to me. If the lifters are tapping (valve click) a thinner oil will help some (5w30) If the ring are letting oil by and then engine is burning it off then a thicker oil is needed to help stop this. I know that Havoline is good oil. As far as the synthetic oils, there are very good, LOL except Castrol, I have seen this first hand, the sludge issue again. Like I said, maybe it is because of where I live, and all the heat.
Agreed.

Since you live in a warmer climate, 40 weight oil probably won't be an issue, especially since some oils tend to shear down closer to a 30 weight anyways. Although, I don't know how I feel about running 15w-40, especially during the winter. I would probably opt for Rotella T6 5w-40 if I was dead set on 40 weight. I run that oil in my Yamaha ATV, it's great oil.

That being said, my '95 TBI seems to really like Mobil1 High Mileage 5w-30. It's fairly thick for a 30 weight and contains more zinc since it only rated for the older SL API rating. I also noticed that my oil consumption decreased since switching from Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, which is still a great oil IMO.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed.

Since you live in a warmer climate, 40 weight oil probably won't be an issue, especially since some oils tend to shear down closer to a 30 weight anyways. Although, I don't know how I feel about running 15w-40, especially during the winter. I would probably opt for Rotella T6 5w-40 if I was dead set on 40 weight. I run that oil in my Yamaha ATV, it's great oil.

That being said, my '95 TBI seems to really like Mobil1 High Mileage 5w-30. It's fairly thick for a 30 weight and contains more zinc since it only rated for the older SL API rating. I also noticed that my oil consumption decreased since switching from Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, which is still a great oil IMO.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

great to know. thanks. I guess ill figure it out soon enough. I had thought about switching to synthetic but idk just yet.

I'm in Lafayette.

ill be in Carencro Saturday for a car show (back to basics) hopefully. if something else doesn't come up.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I found the car show on line. If I was working I would go, but that would be $30 for me and the old lady. I think I'll pass. The money is kinda tight rite now. Post some pics.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Castrol is garbage, IMO. What did that engine ever do to you that caused you to hate it so?
I would bet gangs of money you are suffering some sort of sludge deposit issue that stems from your use of the Castrol . I would never dream of running 15-40 Rotella in a SBC! Too thick! Try substituting 1 quart of dex3 for one quart of oil and see if your lifter holes won't clean out....I am vehemently against changing brands of oil...poor little engine!
For the record I run only Quaker State in all of my Chevrolets -even in my lawn equipment. My second choice would be Valvoline but I have had no cause to switch, only to continue.
Whatever weight is on the cap.

Have you ever changed the oil in a semi truck? Fire it up and then check the level - it's ALREADY black! Pass.

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Castrol is garbage, IMO. What did that engine ever do to you that caused you to hate it so?
I would bet gangs of money you are suffering some sort of sludge deposit issue that stems from your use of the Castrol . I would never dream of running 15-40 Rotella in a SBC! Too thick! Try substituting 1 quart of dex3 for one quart of oil and see if your lifter holes won't clean out....I am vehemently against changing brands of oil...poor little engine!
For the record I run only Quaker State in all of my Chevrolets -even in my lawn equipment. My second choice would be Valvoline but I have had no cause to switch, only to continue.

I agree with him.

I am a Mobil1 kinda guy 10w30. 326k and counting.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you ever changed the oil in a semi truck? Fire it up and then check the level - it's ALREADY black! Pass.

How can you talk bad about Castrol when you run Quaker sludge? ive tore down quite a few engines that ran quaker state and from experience its pure garbage. ha ha. but different strokes for different folks.

eventually im going to build the block I have chillin on my engine stand, when I do it will have nothing but amsoil run through it.

until then I just want to maintain this one.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Thanks.
The potential for disaster is very high however. Lemme tell you guys a story! My father bought an '85 Grand Marquis BRAND NEW. He always ran Castro in it until one day he found a case of Valvoline so cheap he couldn't let it go. 1500 miles later his pride is in the shop and they yank the 5.0 - no oil flow. Turns out it took 1500 miles to loose enough Castrol sludge to clog the oil pickup. True story.
You'll have to keep a close eye on it, maybe throw some random filter changes in but it'll work.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the car show on line. If I was working I would go, but that would be $30 for me and the old lady. I think I'll pass. The money is kinda tight rite now. Post some pics.

its 10$ a person to spectate. that's what im doing ha ha