oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.
The potential for disaster is very high however. Lemme tell you guys a story! My father bought an '85 Grand Marquis BRAND NEW. He always ran Castro in it until one day he found a case of Valvoline so cheap he couldn't let it go. 1500 miles later his pride is in the shop and they yank the 5.0 - no oil flow. Turns out it took 1500 miles to loose enough Castrol sludge to clog the oil pickup. True story.
You'll have to keep a close eye on it, maybe throw some random filter changes in but it'll work.

im swapping oil anyway. in going to do some gentle cleaning. then probably run 5w30 Pennzoil since I get it for a great price here at work. see if that helps any.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Quaker wasn't always parrafin based like I understand it is now..sad . If I ever switch I'll run Valvoline. Huuuh. I am the kind of wierdo that pays no attention to mileage on the change though, I do it by looks? When it starts to darken more than I like i'll drain it.

Good thread!

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quaker wasn't always parrafin based like I understand it is now..sad . If I ever switch I'll run Valvoline. Huuuh. I am the kind of wierdo that pays no attention to mileage on the change though, I do it by looks? When it starts to darken more than I like i'll drain it.

I don't understand folks who go by months.

I could drive 15k miles in 3 months if wanted. and that would put me way past due for an oil change.

but hey, its not my vehicle ha ha. im strict on my oil changes. ill change mine before 3k miles if I feel like it needs it.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you sell oil, then there should be no need to question whether to put that oil in your engine anyways? If you sell the product, you should know about it.

Here's a bit of reading on the subject of engine oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Im not here to argue. my question was on clearances which I didn't make clear in the first post. I know I could run molasses if I really wanted to. its my truck. but im just double checking my research.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
bobistheoilguy FTW. Really good and generally accepted as accurate info on there.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
bobistheoilguy FTW. Really good and generally accepted as accurate info on there.

most all of the oil research I do is on that site. great info with testing to back it up usually. been itching to try that crankcase cleaning method with neutra 131. but none of my local stores carry it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Mine does it bad. Vortec 350s are way worse about it than the TBI motors. Its caused by a tight fitting wrist pin that rocks the piston back and fourth in the cylinder. As the piston heats up, the fit gets slightly looser and the clacking sound goes away. Similar to piston slap but goes away with a little heat.
My TBI has horrible cold knock. Haha

-via Mobile