Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW this is really going to be interesting to see the final results! It's got me thinking about what filters we use here in Iraq on out equipment. I'll have to go and check the filter types and see if they are on your testing list.

are you in the military? let us know what y'all run, I'd like to know that.

Last edited:

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn. This is going to be one hell of a thread, definitely interested to see the results.

ald94

Reaction score
are you in the military? let us know what y'all run, I'd like to know that.

I'm a civilian contractor for the Army, but I did serve 8 yrs in the Army.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a civilian contractor for the Army, but I did serve 8 yrs in the Army.

oh, okay, nice.

I'm prepping the filter media as we speak

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hit a big snag with performing the tests, the flowrate testing has way too much human error involved, so unless I can figure out a different way to perform it without spending too much, I probably won't do that part. next problem is the microscope I have is taking really crappy pics of some of the filters for some reason, I think the camera on it just isn't good enough, so unless I can get access to the other scope I mentioned earlier, I might not be able to do that either. lastly, the actual filteration tests are going pretty good with the exception of it taking ~3 hours or more per filter run to test, so I've only got 1 of them partially done, I've got an idea on how to get it going better, but it'll be a little while before the results either way.

so:

microscopy pics - possible, but unlikely
flow rate testing - hopefully happening, but not for sure
filteration efficiency at varying micron levels - definantly happening, but will take longer than expected

sorry for all the delays, I'm as anxious as y'all about seeing the results...we'll get there though.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
The main thing I want to see is the filtration efficiency.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think that is what counts the most. all aspects play a part but if it does not filter well then it is junk

yeah, I agree, they all seem to be flowing pretty well visually, so nothing stands out as 'poor flowing' or problematic in that area....I'm hoping that I can do the filtering tests a little faster, since I'm doing 3 filtering runs per micron level, 6 total for each filter, and with each run taking around 2-3 hours, thats 12-18 hours of testing per filter, yikes! I think i've got a way to make that alot better, but requires ordering something else before I can try it, so we'll see how that works out.