Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is gunna be fun to see, still cant believe you bought 31 oil filters, just wanted to say thanks for sharing this with us.

you should've seen the some of the parts store people's faces when I walked up to the counter with multiple oil filters and no oil.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
if i had seen that it would of weirded me out me. kinda go hand in hand the two of them

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i had seen that it would of weirded me out me. kinda go hand in hand the two of them

yeah, most of them asked why I was buying all the different filters, and when I explained it to them they thought it sounded interesting.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
it is, i have always wanted to do something like this but never had the resources.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got the last couple filters and started doing measurements and cutting them open and such (haven't started any filteration or flowrates, just construction), and I'm already finding out some things that may come as a surprise. lots of stuff is completely different than some of those other older studies out there sheerly in filter construction. after I work on converting some images from RAW tonight at work, I'll post up a pic or 2.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is a teaser pic, I had to reduce the image quality to make it a managable size, but its not too bad.
You must be registered for see images attach

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't wait to see some test results. I've usually always stuck to purolator brands or ac delco so it will be interesting to see how they do.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how many miles you putting on each filter?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many miles you putting on each filter?

zero, some of these filters I wouldn't put on my lawnmower, let alone my truck...

actually, I'm cutting them open and testing sections of the filtering media directly in the lab. or actually in the garage, but with lab equipment. and using standards and controls to eliminate as many variables as I can which isn't possible in scenarios with the filter attached to a driving vehicle. I'm mainly testing the abilities of the filter's media by itself. so I won't be testing things like flow restrictions due to can design and build. but those things would be secondary factors in flowrates anyways, and have no impact on filtering out contaminants.

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of all of them i'm going to say amsoil,wix,royal purple are going to be the best.......BUT WE WILL SEE.
Thanks again for doing the research.