Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm? watch this about the royal purple oil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvhRi7-iMA

hmm, a study that is sponsored by RP and paints them in a positive light? suprising. not that their test is not worth anything or that their product isnt good, but there are things I don't like in that video, like when they say this at 3:20:
"switching to royal purple can actually undo wear that is already present in the engine"
magical oil

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
hmm, a study that is sponsored by RP and paints them in a positive light? suprising. not that their test is not worth anything or that their product isnt good, but there are things I don't like in that video, like when they say this at 3:20:
"switching to royal purple can actually undo wear that is already present in the engine"
magical oil

yea, i tend to not even consider that to have ANY truth.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** almost as bad as the truck i went to look at the other day, 1991 1ton, 454.

Truck has rod knock, guy assures me he went to a mechanic and its only $200 to fix.

:lol:

yeah, you can buff that right out, no problem heh.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had to order some parts offline and ended up getting a few extra filter brands to add to the list, I don't have their part #'s with me at the moment, but I'll post an updated list soon, some of them include: baldwin, Luber-finer, Mann, Pronto, another type of Fram I think, and a few others. looks like this is shaping up to be a pretty good sample size ranging from the cheap low-end, to the high end, once the rest of them arrive and I can setup my equipment and get some time, I'll start working on collecting the data. I'll start an actual official thread once I have the results.

suggestions are still welcome, though funds are low right now.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd share something interesting and a little pre-study glance, this is a portion of a Fram high mileage filter (its one of the smaller 4wd filters, I got it for free) media under the microscope at 150x magnification, (my scope tends to make the upper right corner darker and the lower left corner brighter, so its just a general scope, so nothing super expensive) but I'm planning on putting all the filters under the same scope so at least we can get an up close look at how the media is built and compare them under the same scope and conditions. so this pic may not be too useful as is, but once we have others for comparison, it'll be something worth looking at. I may also scope the media after passing the contaminant through if that provides any additional information.
You must be registered for see images attach

edit- I've been working on getting a better quality pic too, this pic is just kindof a quick test shot. I also removed the color to make the fibers more visable.

Last edited:

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
that's pretty cool, it looks like some areas are packed tighter than others

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay, so here is the updated complete list of the filters and P/N that I have acquired for the study. I think I'm done buying them as of now. its getting expensive. but if there is something someone REALLY wants to have examined, let me know and we can probably do something. (for example, I'd like to test one of these :http://www.synlube.com/prod06.htm, but at this point I have issues shelling out $22+shipping to chop up a filter. not that the amsoil/RP/K&N was much better, but you get my drift.)

some of these are odd brands I had never heard of until I started looking into this, so this should be fun. all these filters are what the filter manufacturer makes for a 1996 C1500 L31 5.7L 2wd truck, although the same part # is cross-referenced to alot of different engines including some BBC's and early GM diesels, among others.

ACDelco PF1218
Bosch 3510
Napa Gold 1060
Napa 'silver' AKA proselect 21060
Wix 51060
STP S5
Amsoil EaO24
K&N HP-3002
Mobil one M1-302
Fram Extraguard PH5
Fram Toughguard TG5
Fram High Mileage HM5
Fram Xtended guard XG5
Fram Racing HP4
Microgard MGL9100
Purolator Pure-one PL34631
Proline PPL34631
Purolator classic L34631
Royal purple 30-1218
Pronto PO4011
Fram Double Guard DG5
Motorcraft FL12A
Baldwin B1428
Mann ML1011
Full W0133-1641436
Fram Defense DL5
Carquest B4361
Fleetguard LF3679
Shell S17
Luberfiner PH1218
Premium Guard PG4631

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't wait for results I used Fram for over 15 years and my truck has 174K and she still doesn't use oil but here lately im using Delco got them cheap at Wally World.