Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I'm a very dedicated AC-Delco & Fram oil filter user. I've been using both well over the 30 some odd years that I've been driving without any issues at all and I'd be very interested in reading your results about the study.

the base line fram stuff is pretty ******.

I used a K&N last oil change, gonna cut her open when i drop the oil next spring.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a very dedicated AC-Delco & Fram oil filter user. I've been using both well over the 30 some odd years that I've been driving without any issues at all and I'd be very interested in reading your results about the study.

yeah, I think alot of the anti-fram or other filter stuff out there is based alot on opinion, after all they all pass the minimum standards and requirements needed to last the minimum drain intervals and such. however with alot of companies cutting corners to save a few pennies, I'd rather know what I'm using is filtering at the level I expect.

I currently use Mobil 1 filters, though I'm not adverse to changing if I find I like another filter does a better job. if I found that some fram did better at filtering than the M1, I'd switch.

but I don't mind paying more for a better quality filter, so we'll see what happens

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
4x4 350 filters are about the same size as a 4.3L 2WD filter, Very small.

2WD 350 filters are the EXACT SAME as a BBC Filter, in fact, the last couple filters ive used, were bought for my dads 427 BBC.

Pictures to show.

2WD/BBC on left, 4x4 on right

You must be registered for see images attach

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
yeah, I think alot of the anti-fram or other filter stuff out there is based alot on opinion, after all they all pass the minimum standards and requirements needed to last the minimum drain intervals and such. however with alot of companies cutting corners to save a few pennies, I'd rather know what I'm using is filtering at the level I expect.

I currently use Mobil 1 filters, though I'm not adverse to changing if I find I like another filter does a better job. if I found that some fram did better at filtering than the M1, I'd switch.

but I don't mind paying more for a better quality filter, so we'll see what happens

I have cut open a typical Fram filter, they do use cardboard ends, i have also cut open a Wix, it used metal, if that means anything :S

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have cut open a typical Fram filter, they do use cardboard ends, i have also cut open a Wix, it used metal, if that means anything :S

yeah, me too, thats what makes me kinda anti-fram currently I never liked the cardboard, and general cheapness of the ones I've seen, but I've never examined how well they filter or flow or anything, so I'm trying to keep an open mind for the study.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
yeah, me too, thats what makes me kinda anti-fram currently I never liked the cardboard, and general cheapness of the ones I've seen, but I've never examined how well they filter or flow or anything, so I'm trying to keep an open mind for the study.

I forget where, but there is a source for it, my uncles shop researched what filters they should buy based on the Micron level, The ones they went with where high up on the scale, they were Lub-something, cant remember.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4x4 350 filters are about the same size as a 4.3L 2WD filter, Very small.

2WD 350 filters are the EXACT SAME as a BBC Filter, in fact, the last couple filters ive used, were bought for my dads 427 BBC.

Pictures to show.

2WD/BBC on left, 4x4 on right

thats good to know, I did notice that some of the 2wd filters that I was getting also had the same P/N crossreferenced to the diesel engine available in '96

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would be cool to see a royal purple filter

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
thats good to know, I did notice that some of the 2wd filters that I was getting also had the same P/N crossreferenced to the diesel engine available in '96

i was quite surpirsed to find out the BBC filters where the same, i orginalley grabbed one to cover up that area while i painted the block, realized it screwed right on and looked like it belonged, i even went and bought a 2WD SBC filter to make sure they where the same, Close to same length and diameter.

Needless to say, except for the last oil change, ive gotten my filters for free :lol:, and even got my oil for free last time (Bulk 76 Synthetic blend)