Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I promise I haven't forgotten about this, just an update, the testing is all complete, I'll be scanning a few things in and working on the write up here durring the next few days, I should have the results posted by the end of the week.

I did have to change quite a bit from what I originally wanted to do, to give quality results with minimal to no human error, the whole flow rate testing was eliminated as the results gave +-300%, no acceptable IMO, every filter was tested with the 30um contaminant, but only the 2 filters that performed best with the 30um were tested with the 5um, but the 30um provided alot of information about all of them, so in the end it ended up being a bit different that I originally thought up, but there is still alot of great information on everything. I was going to provide like percentage of contaminants that were passed and such by weight, but it ended up that the amount of contaminant that I had to use on each test (so as to not clog the filter but still provide visable results), was too light that the weight of the little bit of oil that couldn't be removed from the media caused large errors in the weight readings. but there are results for everything, so no worries

sorry if these changes bum y'all out, but its what I had to do for the equipment I had available at my disposal, perhaps some day when I have more extra cash, and time I can build a device that will optically count passed particle of different sizes and measure actual flow rates and such. but until that time, this'll have to do.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
sounds great. i will have to keep my eye out for the results thread.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if cost isn't a factor, I'd do the royal purple. if you want to spend less, I'd do the Fram xtraguard (XG5), from what I saw there at least, I'm still working on like a gradesheet for them that'll make reviewing them all together a bit easier. I'll post it up later tonight or tommorow on the article site.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
if cost isn't a factor, I'd do the royal purple. if you want to spend less, I'd do the Fram xtraguard (XG5), from what I saw there at least, I'm still working on like a gradesheet for them that'll make reviewing them all together a bit easier. I'll post it up later tonight or tommorow on the article site.

i dont like to cheap out on my Chev, Currently running a K&N filter, Thanks for the info, I will be picking up a RP Filter next time.

and i am DAMN surprised by the lack of quality on the ACDelco filter, I was so surprised in fact that i sent it to my buddie that puts ACDelco EVERYTHING in his 1998 Z71.

and the XG5 Another surprise, was nice too see that they at least have 1 filter that doesnt use Cardboard ends.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow looks like royal purple does know what they are doing based on that compilation of filter papers

sucks about ac delco, they used to be pretty good

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
wow looks like royal purple does know what they are doing based on that compilation of filter papers

sucks about ac delco, they used to be pretty good

its the world we live in man, Make money over quality. They are not expecting people to tear these things open.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exactally, and if you read the box of the delco, all of it is advertising, it just says 96% effective! 20% more holding capacity than others!....really? 96% effective at stopping what, bricks? I guess those 4% of bricks are just breaking through. :uhoh2: notice how a lot of them are so vague that it could mean anything. thats exactly what I wanted to debunk with this.

I too am really shocked at the delco, and the XG5. I didn't expect the delco to top the list, but I didn't expect it to be one of the absolute worst in multiple categories, and I also didn't expect the fram to get such a quality filter in there as well. the XG5 media was thicker and had better backing than the other synthetic filters.

everyone is welcome to join the forums over there as well if you want to, we're small but we could always use some more quality members.